• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 recovery - Redstone Arsenal

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got started today at 5:30 to pick up my new M105A2 from Redstone Arsenal. I'm pleased to report a safe and uneventful recovery. I managed to get back home at 12:05 today. (Stopping for lunch on the way back) The trailer is in pretty good shape, needs a little wire brushing on the wheel well and some paint. But other than that, it's in good shape.

I probably went overkill on parts, but my recovery kit included...

Two air tanks
Pry bar
3/4 ratchet
budd socket tool
set of screw drivers
12v magnetic lights
spare deuce wheel/tire
can of grease
pb blaster
pipe wrench
spare bearing set
large flathead screwdriver/prybar
Sledgehammer
Socket set and ratchet

I used a hitch adapter that Corey was gracious enough to let me borrow. I pulled the cover off and the front and rear sides down to help with airflow. I also dropped the tailgate. That gave me a great place to stick the 12v lights.

I was able to tow it without any issue with my jeep. The only mess up I made was I left the passenger side parking brake applied. aua

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The trip was 140 miles each way.

I had planned on flipping the pintle. But it seemed to do fine behind the jeep so I didn't bother. I'd have to flip it back anyway for my deuce.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trip was 140 miles each way.

I had planned on flipping the pintle. But it seemed to do fine behind the jeep so I didn't bother. I'd have to flip it back anyway for my deuce.
I'm looking at 100 miles when I head to Hood. Glad to know im not the only crazy one. :jumpin:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't want to do this, but push came to shove. I've hauled my car hauler around with the jeep. But it kills it. The 105 weighs about the same. But seemed to pull easier.

I planned on using my 3/4 ton dodge with a cummins to pull it. (on my car hauler) But it's still in the bodyshop.

Time wouldn't allow for me to use the deuce.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just got back home from picking up my dodge from the body shop. Why couldn't they have had it ready yesterday to have made this super easy! aua

BTW, backing a M105 with a cargo cover on a deuce without a spotter tends to end up in countless jackknifing. :deadhorse:

I did manage to get my Onan 12kw genset loaded on it as well. I'll put the top back on once the generator is 100%. Probably going to redirect the exhaust as well.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got that right. It's already loaded and unloaded a lot of stuff around here.

I threatened Mrs. Patracy that her Liberty CRD would one day be hanging from it's hook. :mrgreen:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy great list of recovery items, I have to head to Redstone in the next 10 days for a 105. How was your experiance with the GL group? Any tips or tricks that you learned?

Thanks

Steve

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
How was your experiance with the GL group? Any tips or tricks that you learned?
Mother Teresa and her crew are great (just don't get on her bad side).

Her son Adam usually helps me load or pick up vehicles. He'll go the extra mile if you are of good attitude.

Take a box of doughnuts.