• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 trailer build/ conversion

tylercodydale

Hello all, new to posting here. I have been lurking around ever since I picked this up. 70933041685__595563E7-6FE7-42E2-A8EB-BE820429E793.jpeg
It is a M105A2 as I’m sure you guys are all familiar with this one is factory the way it came. Here is a picture of it behind my 2500 that a picked it up with.
70933040671__1A394A3E-6CF2-4602-95EC-766F7DE5899A.jpeg
My plan is to swap a 4” drop 8x6.5 lug axle underneath it so I can get some electric trailer brakes, because towing this thing without any brakes is a nightmare. After taking all my measurements I plan on doing 78” hub face to hub face. I’m also going to swap the big 9.00x20 military wheels for some Humvee 16.5 bead locks and 37” tires. My plan is to get a MEP-806B and put it in the back of this trailer to make it mobile.

Look forward to posting more on this as it progresses
Thanks Tyler

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello all, new to posting here. I have been lurking around ever since I picked this up. View attachment 901003
It is a M105A2 as I’m sure you guys are all familiar with this one is factory the way it came. Here is a picture of it behind my 2500 that a picked it up with.
View attachment 901004
My plan is to swap a 4” drop 8x6.5 lug axle underneath it so I can get some electric trailer brakes, because towing this thing without any brakes is a nightmare. After taking all my measurements I plan on doing 78” hub face to hub face. I’m also going to swap the big 9.00x20 military wheels for some Humvee 16.5 bead locks and 37” tires. My plan is to get a MEP-806B and put it in the back of this trailer to make it mobile.

Look forward to posting more on this as it progresses
Thanks Tyler
Welcome to the Outfit!

You need to be careful! The green disease spreads - pretty quickly. Next thing you know, you will have some sort of other green vehicle to drag that trailer around. And then maybe a wrecker to haul that truck around...

Happy to have you here and again, welcome to the group..

tylercodydale

Those are solid trailers. I have one of those and an M1102. Why choose to modify this one instead of an M1102 which will be much closer to your end goal?
One reason was the capacity of this trailer and how over built it is. Also, someone was selling this for a steal of a deal probably because it is too big currently to haul with anything but a deuce and a half. I also ended up finding some Humvee bead, lock wheels and 37 inch Goodyear military tires that I picked up for after I do the axle swap.

tylercodydale

I will post all my measurements here to since that was one of the big factors in trying to figure out the correct axle and hub face measurement as well as keeping springs center at 40 and not having a de-rate the axle capacity.

I’m going with 8k axle 78 inches hub face to hub face and a 12 inch brake drum with electric trailer brakes. The Humvee rims have a 7 inch backspacing and the tires are 12 1/2 inches wide. That gives me roughly 9 inches from the hub face to the back of where the tire will sit.
With a 78 inch hub face 2 hub face axle that should give me roughly 11 1/2 inches from the hub face to the inside wheel well.

I ordered new leaf spring lower mounts as well as new U-bolts to fit the new 3 1/2 in axle tube. The new axle comes unassembled and I will have to assemble it as well as weld on the leaf spring mounts.

55” between wheel wells
New Axle width 78” HF2HF
Spring perch 40” on center

Leaf spring width 2.5”
U bolt length 13-14”

tylercodydale

IMG_2346.jpegIMG_2345.jpegIMG_2347.jpeg
got the MEP-806B Genset on the trailer today. Also got it all cleaned up and pressure washed and degreased. Now I just have to switch the board and the selector switch over to 120/208

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 901159View attachment 901158View attachment 901160
got the MEP-806B Genset on the trailer today. Also got it all cleaned up and pressure washed and degreased. Now I just have to switch the board and the selector switch over to 120/208
Great looking trailer. Just got mine the other day with some side boards. I'm looking for
four fiberglass boards (3/4" X 3 3/4" X 108") to repair one side. Do you have any or
have any ideas where I might find them?

Thanks for your help,
Orren

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is much better and also has the solid steel wheels.
No lock ring to deal with.

What are your plans for the generator?
That's a lot of generator for single home use.

tylercodydale

That is much better and also has the solid steel wheels.
No lock ring to deal with.

What are your plans for the generator?
That's a lot of generator for single home use.
Thank you, I think it’ll be a lot more friendly to tow as well. I haven’t really decided on a plan, when it came available I couldn’t pass it up. I’ve been having a hard time getting an answer on what a generator this size would be capable of powering. I had planned on using it to power everything on my property while I was building my house then having it as a backup after.

tylercodydale

I have to say the M105A2 compared to the M200A1 was a night and day difference towing without trailer brakes. Both pulled behind my crew cab 2500. But the M200A1 you couldn’t even feel it back there and the tires made the ride so much smoother and it towed much easier also didn’t feel like the trailer was pushing you and didn’t feel as bouncy on bumps.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M105A2 is a big, heavy trailer.
Add no brakes and a heavy generator and you have a very bad day waiting to happen.
Very smart move realizing it was too much for your truck and getting rid of it.

You definitely scored with the solid wheels on the new trailer.
A lot of shops will not work on the lock ring rims anymore.

You could power 4 standard homes with that big generator.
Good thing it’s on a trailer since it will be needing lots of fuel.

Post pics when you it mounted

tylercodydale

The M105A2 is a big, heavy trailer.
Add no brakes and a heavy generator and you have a very bad day waiting to happen.
Very smart move realizing it was too much for your truck and getting rid of it.

You definitely scored with the solid wheels on the new trailer.
A lot of shops will not work on the lock ring rims anymore.

You could power 4 standard homes with that big generator.
Good thing it’s on a trailer since it will be needing lots of fuel.

Post pics when you it mounted
Will do! I’m going to end up selling my truck and getting a smaller vehicle and the I will be hauling the generator around with this truck IMG_2424.jpeg
I this truck has air brakes so I will get to test the factory air over hydraulic setup on the M200A1

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
The M200 series is the proper trailer for the generator. Glad as I read along you found someone to trade. It brings the center of gravity way down.

Not so much a trailer issue, but keep in mind the generator you have is 3 phase only. When it comes to single phase 240v going into your house, 3 phase 220v is not the same. You can make it work, but you are either going to be high on your 110v side or low on your 240v side. Consider getting a proper 3phase to 1phase converter to power the house as to make sure it's "clean". You also want to make sure you have enough to load it up to avoid wet stacking. Make a load bank to clean it out every once in a while & you will be good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks