• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A3 TrailerQuestions

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have purchased an M105A3 trailer on Govliquidation. The serial number made me wonder what it might mean. It is NWOX1Q. On some other military items, an X meant it was a one off or other experimental thing. Is that the case here? The trailer has the markings HS-T141 and a mushroom cloud insignia on the front. Does anyone know what unit this is, and where they are based? The bed is different from the A2 trailers in that it has the talilights in the body sides instead of under the frame. It has different rims, solid dish steel with 22.5 tubeless tires on it. It has a wider track than an A2 because of the dished rims, making for smaller fender well projection into the bed. It has six tie-downs in the bed floor. It has a hydraulic reaction brake on the hitch. It is brand new. I don't think it ever got to a unit. It was hit in the rear and bent up, but I have about got it repaired. With the brakes it has, it will be nice behind my Cummins one ton truck.
Thanks Marti

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Need to see pix to fully understand what you have - but can tell you an "X" in the registration number NWOX1Q does not signify experimental - in fact, unlike aircraft, even in the model number (such as XM211) it does not mean experimental. It designates a vehicle that has not been type classified as yet.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it was backed over with a deuce when the hitch was on the ground. But I'll take the "hit in the back end" excuse. :)

There's a M101 or M105 trailer near me that is complete, but has been sitting with a small load of dirt in the bed for so long that the bed is swiss cheese, and there are small trees growing out of the dirt pile! Like a large planter! Think I'll rescue it someday as the frame/suspension and wheels are still good shape.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
This, as I recall, is the trailer that was reengineered to be used with the FMTV - at last as an interim until the problems with the purte FMTV trailers were ironed out.

No help on the unit markings.

Best,
David Doyle

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVFAN posted the correct trailer on the Govliquidation pictures. If you look at the tailgate, you can see it was hit in the rear and shoved under something in front of it. It might have been hitched to another truck because the hitch was damaged as well, but repairable. The spare tire on the front panel mount pushed back the front panel. Thanks to the square lines of military vehicles, the straightening has not gone too badly.It really looks hopeless to look at the pictures! When we got it home and looked closely at it, we decided to work on it, and are pleasantly surprised. With some good TIG welding and a re-shoot with CARC, it will look very good. The tires still have the mold flash on them. It will certainly outlive me! I do not think the metal on it is as thick as on the Kasel M105A2 I currently pull behind my Dodge.
Thanks to all for your input!
Regards Marti

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M543A2...if you were able to salvage that trailer, you are one hell of an artisan! Great job and cool trailer!

Bruce
Olney, MD
---------

1991 M149A2
1990 M105A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2 (for sale)
1964 M128A2C
1963 M332 (3)

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22:
I do not have the TM. It would be nice to have. Thanks for your consideration. I will watch for it.

BKubu: It isn't done yet. I have counted a few chickens before they hatch here, but not all of them yet! So far it is going well. I need to grind out welds on the right rear bed corner to remove it and get it on a press to straighten it right, but that is the biggest problem. I will also have to go at the tailgate with a press, and do some welding repair to it. I am not shooting for a total like new appearance, just acceptable both appearance wise and functional. It did not even have any broken taillights, just one of the marker lights at the rear center of the bed. With its like new condition, I felt it was well worth the time I will spend. The reaction brakes will be a nice improvement over my M105A2 I now pull. Are there any others of this model surplussed anyone knows about?
Which brings me to another thought. Maybe some of you folks can look at the brake setup on these 105 trailers and come up with some ideas. They are actuated by air pressure on a pancake that results in pushing in the master cylinder rod. My Cummins Dodge has a vacuum pump on it. I thought, HMMM, if a guy could adapt the pancake to use vacuum from the other side of the chamber or other means like an air cylinder with vacuum applied to actuate the brakes with a valve on the brake pedal, we might have some brakes on our trailers behind pickups.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks