• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061a1

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looking to bye a m1061a1 traiker to use for utilities use hauling side by sides and tractors I have a chevy 3500 daully as tow pig looking for tips and tricks
Tongue modification.

Attachments

tobyS

Are you sure you want a loaded 1061 behind a pickup??? Sorry, but I'm questioning using my deuce as a pull vehicle.

They want to go straight. The axles are wide apart making any turn drag some tires and a relatively short tongue. It not only will push you at a stop....it will be in a direction not expected. I'm thinking the 5 ton is a much better pull vehicle.

Here is my attempt at a 6' tongue extension to keep control of the beast. Last pic is Isuzu diesel and hydraulic pump.

Attachments

This is goingnto be my first military item I would like to buy...

Just see the pros and cons of this trailer there is a guy selling it for a good price that's why i asked before buying i saw the spread axle and was wondering on issues with the trailers

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

tobyS

Glcaines asked about brakes.....What is your plan?

They are one heck of a trailer and a value because people underestimate weight, handling and brakes.

Trailer empty is almost 6,000 + truck at 7500 is already above 13'500 which is above the 3500 rating empty.

I would make it a gooseneck and probably look for electric over hydraulic brake control (expensive).

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull my XM1061E with my M35A3 and previously with my M35A2 before I sold it. I only load bulky loads on the trailer with minimal weight. That trailer pushes my deuces around even when completely unloaded. No way would I ever attempt to pull it with a pickup!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They weigh 5800lbs empty . Nothing for a 3/4 or 1 ton to pull and stop especially a diesel with exhaust brake

It should not push a deuce around any

country

Supporting Vendor

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up one with my 'loaded' 1500 Ram work truck - towed it home (15 miles maybe) at no more than 45 on a divided 4 lane, no real hills. It did not like going over 45, started to misbehave so had to slow back down. Had no real maneuvering issues, but it aggressively took up any slack in the lunette ring/pintle hook/tow insert when turning tight so the spread axle tandems do have a serious attitude/opinion.
This was purely a 'recovery' operation - I wouldn't ever 'use' it behind that vehicle, least of which would be the lack of brakes.

I picked up one with my 'loaded' 1500 Ram work truck - towed it home (15 miles maybe) at no more than 45 on a divided 4 lane, no real hills. It did not like going over 45, started to misbehave so had to slow back down. Had no real maneuvering issues, but it aggressively took up any slack in the lunette ring/pintle hook/tow insert when turning tight so the spread axle tandems do have a serious attitude/opinion.
This was purely a 'recovery' operation - I wouldn't ever 'use' it behind that vehicle, least of which would be the lack of brakes.
I have a 3500 dauly and inget that spread axles aren't the greatest ibwas going swinch the breaks over

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks