• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Duals?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheels made by who? The axles are planetary and the hub will not fit in a conventional 10 hole Budd.

ironkurt

Well to answer a few questions.
The reason I am looking for duals is I work for a company that hauls some pretty heavy stuff (up to 180,000#) from our business to a near by port (about 25mi one way)
According to state law our permits are weight approved according to how much tire is on the road, so more tires the more we are permitted to haul.
Now since the front axle and rear axle are steer tires it wouldn't be good to put duals on them, why I only want #2 and #3 axle with duals.
We have a M911-M747 rig right now but are looking to purchase a M1070 as a second haul truck.
The GVCW on the M1070 is more than 40,000# more than the M911 but because the M911 has more tire on the ground (because it has duals) we can haul more with it.
From everything I have been reading the M1070 is more truck than the M911.
Thanks for all your input and help..

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M1070 can haul 240,000 pounds fully loaded. Would it be illegal in MI under their laws? I know the state of Mississippi would not let the military pull the M1000 trailer with a tank on it on state highways. Curious as to how many other states restricted these trucks off of military installations.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Why put the weight on the truck and not the trailer? Like a multi piece low boy for example. Just curious again.
That's what MS did....they had to use an additional 5th wheel dolly and a RGN trailer with four axles to spread the weight out. The rig I refer to used to sit near DRMO at Camp Shelby.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ironkurt, my advice to you is for you and some other knowledgeable guys go look at one of these close before you jump in. The GVCW may be more than the 911, but that is attributable to the M1000 trailer. The 911 seems to be to be twice the truck as the 1070 from a chassis/axle perspective. The driveshafts in the 1070 look like those in a 5 ton. Single frame. None of the features I have come to expect from a heavy haul spec Class 8 tractor.

ironkurt

We do put most of the Weight on the trailer (m747) but again we can only get a haul permit for so much on the trailer.
My whole question is about being able to get the most weight I can get permitted for to haul down the road.
there is a certain formula we have to abide by and we do Okay with out M911 because it has more tire on the road.
We just bought a M1070 From GL and would like to be able to haul as much or more than the M911. We need more tire on the road to do this.

M920

We do put most of the Weight on the trailer (m747) but again we can only get a haul permit for so much on the trailer.
My whole question is about being able to get the most weight I can get permitted for to haul down the road.
there is a certain formula we have to abide by and we do Okay with out M911 because it has more tire on the road.
We just bought a M1070 From GL and would like to be able to haul as much or more than the M911. We need more tire on the road to do this.
Good choice on the M1070! This truck is twice the M911 and some! I own a M1070 and have used both, the M1070 and the M911 and have driven them on the highway and under severe, remote access conditions, pulling heavy loads.
I must say, I'm very impressed with the overall performance of the M1070HET!
Now as with everything.....You still need to know how to drive of course!!!!! :shock:

So if you need the extra foot print on the ground and over width (11ft wide) is not a problem, I would suggest for you to find a set of wheels and tires of an M123 10 ton or an M911, since they fit and bolt right up on the hubs of the M1070.
They are 24" x 10" wide wheels and mount 14.00-24 tires on them. However they are very close to the same overall diameter as the 16.00R 20s on the M1070 and could be run together on dirt roads.
You will loose the CTIS on them unless you go through the trouble of getting the wheels all set up for it. (quite the chore on dualls)
I feel that you might be able to run dualls on the number 4 axle as well, since the rear steer does not turn the wheels much at all. You would have to try that in the field though.....

I hope this helps with your question.

Soni

Last edited:

Frugal Plinker

I realize this is about 10 yr old, just curious what you eventually did for tires/dualls on the M-1070?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks