• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 starter wiring Diagram help needed

roberbert101

So the worst thing ever happened. The nose cone for the starter broke and the starter dropped ripping the ends off most of the wires including some of the larger wires as gravity took course and i found the starter dancing with the front driveshaft and leaf spring. I have since replaced all of the ends, but need to know which wire goes where. I have identified the momentary start wire and returned it to the starter. The main question is what large wire goes where? I have it currently one large 24v wire to the solenoid feed side. and then on the starter motor stud there is a ground strap to frame and then a second -24V wire... both large diameter... they are connected to the starter motor stud, But it will not crank. The solenoid clunks but no whirl. The rest of the circuitry looks to be right. no magic smoke has been released.
Is their a simple diagram somewhere? The starter and solenoid currently installed is brand new. please help, something doesn't add up...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had the large gauge cables backwards, there would have been fireworks when you reconnected the batteries. Check that you indeed have +24 at the solenoid stud with a voltmeter. If so, the starter could be defective.

roberbert101

Sorry for the late reply ibhavent had a chance to get back out to the truck. Yes indeed there is 25.12 at starter stud and 12.6 on the 12v side of the alternator and 25.12 on tge 28v side of the alternator. The starter is good it was bench tested. It does make the traditional clunk when you hit the start button but I don't think the bendix is throwing far enough or engagining on the flywheel allowing the contacts to close. Could that be a possibility this starter is a direct replacement.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Measure the voltage at the starter solenoid stud with the start button pressed just to eliminate the possibility of bad batteries. If you still have 24 volts, my guess is the starter someone sold you may be wrong.

roberbert101

I just was checking yes full 25v with button depressed. This is the 3rd alternator numbers matching I put the old solenoid on off the old working one. Still same result. this is the 3rd starter and all have same result.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try unbolting the starter while still wired up and strap it to the driveshaft/spring and see if it spins when you press the button. Yes: could your engine be stuck or a piece of the nose went in the bellhousing jambing the flywheel? No: starter motor is no good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks