• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Transmission cooler

timberrrrrr

Been thinking it would be a good idea to replace the coolant / transmission fluid heat ex-changer out of my M1078 to an air cooled unit like in the M1088 and M1083's.

It seems the possibility of coolant eventually getting into the transmission via the heat ex-changer is a good reason to consider this.

Thoughts?

snowtrac nome

That likely wont happen if you were going to tow loads in high heat I might recommend it, but for cool climates it gets the oil up to operating temp faster.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I recommend ditching the heat exchanger and going with solely air to air unless you are in a colder climate region. However you may check a thread by swamp donkey as he did a extra air to air cooler for his allison in his m923 and added bypass valves on the heat exchanger so he can use it in colder times to keep the transmission at temps but run the air to air with it's own fan. By using air to air the transmission never gets about 160 degrees. compared to around 200/210 with the heat exchanger. Allison's dont like heat very much especially if you are towing or running around with a camper like yours.

Helped a buddy ditch the heat exchanger in place of an air to air on a 1078A1 and now the fan clutch hardly ever comes on. It is amazing how much extra heat that transmission does put on the engine.

Every heat exchanger I have had fail on the 939 series trucks it has leaked out the end of the unit and not into the coolant.

scottmandu

M1088 cooler is entirely different from a 1083, 1084, 1085... Stating this I have a cooler and fans from a 1088 I parted out.

coachgeo

Confused on air to air? you mean air to coolant or oil? found info on air to air.... for conditioning/converting "air" temps ... but not air to air .... for conditioning/converting temps of a liquid like tranny oil.

scottmandu

An air to air cooler would be the intercooler. The transmission coolers for the LMTV are liquid to liquid and the MTV has two coolers, the same cooler as the LMTV and an air to liquid cooler mounted rearward of the cab.

coachgeo

An air to air cooler would be the intercooler. The transmission coolers for the LMTV are liquid to liquid and the MTV has two coolers, the same cooler as the LMTV and an air to liquid cooler mounted rearward of the cab.
that is exactly how I picture and word it as well. This discussion speaking of "air to air" in reference to a tranny cooler makes no sense at all.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By using air to air the transmission never gets about 160 degrees. compared to around 200/210 with the heat exchanger. Allison's dont like heat very much
My transmission doesn't seem to run it's best until it has thoroughly warmed up to 200°F (been at that temp for a little while, so all the parts have reached that, not just where the sensor is). I wouldn't want it to run cooler than that (e.g. 160°F).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks