• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

rustystud

It seems like every airpack I take apart has a seriously corroded can. Big Mike has access to replacement cans, but by the time you buy a kit, and a can, you might as well have bought a new or NOS one.
I thought someone had a friend that could make the "cans" out of stainless steel. Whatever came of that ?
Does anyone know ?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have switched from gas engine to multifuel in your M108, I want to confirm or disprove a comment made to me decades ago. I was told the gas and multifuel hoods within the M44-series deuces are different, but how?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have switched from gas engine to multifuel in your M108, I want to confirm or disprove a comment made to me decades ago. I was told the gas and multifuel hoods within the M44-series deuces are different, but how?
They are not different. Well, the rear support brace on a gas hood has a small cut out to clear the air cleaner. I bent it up out of the way on the 108 hood to clear the multi fuel.
The grill in a gas burner is shorter

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
after getting sidetracked with the Ubolts finally got around to bleeding the brakes. Had to replace a few lines as well. had to bleed them three times . Installed a remote reservoir which helped. Didn’t get the wheels back on till yesterday. Took my son and I almost three hours to put them on and torque. Moved it out of the shop today and hosed it off. Found some markings as well

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Closer to paint. Sandblasted the crane body today. Turned out good

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outrigger Maintenance done. Fairly certain they had not moved it at least 50 years. Had to use my Mule to pull from the storage tubes. Completely disassembled, de rusted, greased and oiled and now work great. They seemed to get heavier the longer the job took.

I need to source the outrigger bar or make one. The same for pins in the outriggers.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
got the passenger door hung. I had to straighten the door as I had bent it by dropping a mounted g177 radial on the door.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So clever to use an engine hoist for the door. I lifted it by hand and was surprised by how heavy it was, trying to not throw my back out, lowering it all the way to the ground. I also put it back the same way because, well, some of us never learn.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So clever to use an engine hoist for the door. I lifted it by hand and was surprised by how heavy it was, trying to not throw my back out, lowering it all the way to the ground. I also put it back the same way because, well, some of us never learn.
Definitely a nice way to do that job!

Back in the old days, and after becoming a shade tree mechanic, I worked in a nice shop with chain-falls with great big fans (no AC). Now days I use one of my wreckers to move and shuffle heavy parts around... No air moving unless the wind is blowing - and there are no shade trees either!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks