• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1082 Spring brake valve leaking air...is it rebuildable

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continuing to get my trailer up and running. Hooked it up to the truck today and fed air into the system to see if the brakes worked after replacing missing air hoses. Sucess, but there seems to be air escaping from the brake spring valve behind the tank. Is there a vent on this and should it ever be venting? Or is mine leaking when it shouldn't. If it needs to be replaced (not looking forward to trying to find one as I imagine these may be somewhat rare). My question is are they a rebuildable part? If so, has anyone here done one and might share their experiences, part numbers, etc. Thanks in advance

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Continuing to get my trailer up and running. Hooked it up to the truck today and fed air into the system to see if the brakes worked after replacing missing air hoses. Sucess, but there seems to be air escaping from the brake spring valve behind the tank. Is there a vent on this and should it ever be venting? Or is mine leaking when it shouldn't. If it needs to be replaced (not looking forward to trying to find one as I imagine these may be somewhat rare). My question is are they a rebuildable part? If so, has anyone here done one and might share their experiences, part numbers, etc. Thanks in advance
After the air tanks are filled, you should have "dead quiet" in the system. Maybe take a picture of where the sound is coming from and hopefully we can get the leaking part identified.

It may be that the tank wasn't drained regularly and some rust and scale could be blocking the sealing points.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little update......Doing more research and part shopping, I did locate a NOS valve (surprised to find it so quickly). With Xmas right around the corner, I have been too busy to take the valve off and figured at this point I will replace it with a NOS part and then see about rebuilding it. The NOS part was very cheap in the LMTV world, so I pulled the trigger the minute I found it. The part is supposed to be here Sunday so maybe Monday I will get it done (and some pictures!)

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NOS valve showed up today and I will try and get it installed tomorrow if the weather cooperates a bit (supposed to rain for the next couple of days). I did take the old one off tonight to remove all of the brass adapters.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the rain let up for a bit and I took the valve up to the trailer. Followed the TM for changing out the fittings on the old valve. Then disaster struck. The tee fitting on the back was in tight and as I pushed the wrench slipped and crushed one of the small Tee fittings. Spent some time looking through my brass fittings and of course no tee (1/2 NPT out of the vale and both T's 3/8 od). So, a trip to Home Depot and no luck finding an exact replacement. Sorted through all of the fittings and was able to create a new tee that would work. It did add about 3/4 in height, and 3/4 of an inch to the ends of the Tee's. My only worry was that there was enough room between the tank and the valve to spin it on. So back to the trailer

Crawled underneath and started to spin the valve on to the nipple of the tank. I found I had just enough room with the added length of the tee to screw it on snug. (Anti-seize was applied to all fittings). after tightening on all of the hoses, time for a test. Started the truck, filled the tanks, engaged the trailer air, let off the parking brake and filled the trailer tank. A few pushes of the brakes with my helper listening. Brakes working as they should. Checked the spring brake valve......no leaks!!! A successful repair. I will tear apart the old valve and see if its rebuildable and will try and do a write up on that. I didn't take a lot of pictures, but I do have one of the new valve in place and the new tee showing how close it is to the tank. IMG_0335.jpgIMG_0336.jpgIMG_0335.jpgIMG_0336.jpg

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, the rain let up for a bit and I took the valve up to the trailer. Followed the TM for changing out the fittings on the old valve. Then disaster struck. The tee fitting on the back was in tight and as I pushed the wrench slipped and crushed one of the small Tee fittings. Spent some time looking through my brass fittings and of course no tee (1/2 NPT out of the vale and both T's 3/8 od). So, a trip to Home Depot and no luck finding an exact replacement. Sorted through all of the fittings and was able to create a new tee that would work. It did add about 3/4 in height, and 3/4 of an inch to the ends of the Tee's. My only worry was that there was enough room between the tank and the valve to spin it on. So back to the trailer

Crawled underneath and started to spin the valve on to the nipple of the tank. I found I had just enough room with the added length of the tee to screw it on snug. (Anti-seize was applied to all fittings). after tightening on all of the hoses, time for a test. Started the truck, filled the tanks, engaged the trailer air, let off the parking brake and filled the trailer tank. A few pushes of the brakes with my helper listening. Brakes working as they should. Checked the spring brake valve......no leaks!!! A successful repair. I will tear apart the old valve and see if its rebuildable and will try and do a write up on that. I didn't take a lot of pictures, but I do have one of the new valve in place and the new tee showing how close it is to the tank. View attachment 887298View attachment 887299View attachment 887298View attachment 887299
Nice job. I’ll be waiting to see what you find out about the old one.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Raining like crazy since yesterday, but I was out in the garage so I figured why not start to tear apart the old spring brake valve to see if I can repair it or at least see where it failed. When it was on the trailer, I determined that the leak was somewhere on the lower left side as I was facing the tank, but not having any soapy water I couldn't tell exactly where. As soon as I popped off the bolts on that side, I very easily discovered my leak. A gasket failure (pics below). Now the hunt to see if there is a rebuild kit to fix it. Unusually shaped and might be a pain to locate.

IMG_0338.jpgIMG_0339.jpgIMG_0340.jpg

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kudos on a job well done on changing out the value and finding what was wrong with the old one. Also, good job on finding a repair kit for the valve, I’m sure that will help others, including myself, in the future with there trailer!
(y)(y)(y)

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dug a little deeper on the valve after ordering the kit. Turns out two of the three gaskets like the picture above were split. All the others looked good. I will do some more pics and a different write up and will rebuild the entire valve for future use by others with the same problem.

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So waiting on the rebuild kit and did some more searching. I identified the current civilian part number, and it includes the rebuild kit I mentioned prior on the description. A search using this final part number discovered a lot more of these units (NOS) out there for prices from $49 and up. The rebuild will be fun and as the NOS supplies dry up, a rebuild will end up being cheaper.

KN26000X - Trailer Valve - Haldex product

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks