• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 aux starter solenoid

Sweep

I'm looking for a replacement aux starter solenoid. Is there an aftermarket one available? Perhaps an old fashion solenoid at the parts store?

Sweep

Is yours bad? Not a high failure part.
Im having intermitmant starting issues. No thermal protector on the starter. Looking to have an aux solenoid on hand even if it's not bad. I've swapped some of the relays out. Going to change the starting related maxi cb's to fuses. It will end up staring when troubleshooting. So it's been hard to narrow it down. I have the TM's. I'm trying to start small with the trouble shooting. The truck is a 1088 my Fire Dept is building into a tanker.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When the truck won't start, take a screwdriver and jump the 2 big terminals on the solenoid. If it still won't start, go to the starter the post closest to the block on the solenoid is the positive. Get a clip lead on there and touch the other end to 24v. Most intermittent start issues are starter, battery or connections at either or both related.

Sweep

When the truck won't start, take a screwdriver and jump the 2 big terminals on the solenoid. If it still won't start, go to the starter the post closest to the block on the solenoid is the positive. Get a clip lead on there and touch the other end to 24v. Most intermittent start issues are starter, battery or connections at either or both related.
Thanks I'll check that out. Anybody know what purpose the aux solenoid serves? Is it redundant?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Its part of the thermal cutout design. With the thermal protection on the starter when it went into overtemp, the aux solenoid coils ground would be disrupted.

wandering neurons

Starter has a flat spot from non-use. Most of the time the starter is on a good spot to fire off, but occasionally it stops rotating on the bad spot. And when on the bad spot, no start.
The 8.3L Cummins in my RV had intermittent start issues. Pulled the starter, had a local Mennonite shop rebuild it. There was a spot in the starter where it wouldn't make contact with the brushes. The RV had only 50K miles and very few starts. But it had sat a lot and developed a bad spot. Rebuilt starter hasn't failed me (yet).
Lots of electrical stuff doesn't like to sit idle. Just my $0.02...

Sweep

Starter has a flat spot from non-use. Most of the time the starter is on a good spot to fire off, but occasionally it stops rotating on the bad spot. And when on the bad spot, no start.
The 8.3L Cummins in my RV had intermittent start issues. Pulled the starter, had a local Mennonite shop rebuild it. There was a spot in the starter where it wouldn't make contact with the brushes. The RV had only 50K miles and very few starts. But it had sat a lot and developed a bad spot. Rebuilt starter hasn't failed me (yet).
Lots of electrical stuff doesn't like to sit idle. Just my $0.02...
That's something to consider. I have not thought of that. Thank you sir.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks