• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 / S-250 conversion

Emf27

Progress report. Got everything attached and painted to match the truck. Now for the fun part, the inside! Planning on adding two bunks that fold down along with LED lighting and some overhead storage. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

Read up on past threads as the ideas already done to these shelters is almost endless.
Some really clever ideas!
SS Member AntennaClimber did one that looks really nice.

All it takes it time, imagination, and of course, money.

Rig looks good.
Not a fan of the wheels, but it will work I bet.

Sparky75

EMF27,
That's a nice set up! I have an AN/TRC 145 V1 S 250 shelter I've owned since 1999. Been working on it VERY slowly. Now that I'm retired I've had a little more time to play with it. One of the first things I did was strip out the old fluorescent lighting ballasts and put electronic ballasts in. That only worked for a while, (BTW, those ballasts were a bit difficult to find, especially for 2 foot tubes). So I stripped the ballasts out and went with direct wire 2 foot LED tubes. Wired the tombstones properly and they work just fine. No more ballast worries. I haven't tried the new lights with any radio gear (I'm a HAM too) so we'll see what kind of noise they generate. Eventually, I'll add 12 V LED's to it inside. More than likely red for night time.
The shelter was gutted out when I bought it. The only thing equipment left in it was the intercom (ARKAY INTERNATIONAL LS-147(C)/F1). I was able to find the power connectors ( U-237 B/G Connector NSN: 5935-00-134-5266 ) NOS still in the original bags. I snagged two. A friend gave me a 150' of cable and the reel for it that are for the specific shelter (he owns 6 shelters himself!).
I am in the process of removing the Field Connection Splice Panel. I saw where someone had put a window in there for a camper. I am putting a piece of aluminum plate back in there. Gives me more room inside. I just have to get the countersunk flat head rivets to put in.
Eventually I will use it as an emergency comm shelter. Use it as a remote repeater site, ARES, SKYWARN, Field Day, etc. I have it mounted on a PJ 16' car transport trailer right now. I figured it would give me a good platform for my 7kw generator, plus some ideas for antenna, and mast mounts.
It will need paint too. Everything I've read about the CARC paint and the 'Yellow Death" primer is bad! ☠ ☠ I'll have to be careful in the prep and painting.

How's the electrical wiring on yours? I haven't popped all the gutter covers on mine yet, only the ones around the ballasts I trashed. I want to do a rewire on mine in the future. There's a big meet of Military Vehicle Collectors of California this weekend (April 17-20) in Plymouth Ca. . I went to one many years ago and they had some interesting stuff. I may try to go and get some ideas and see if anyone has spare shelter parts.
All in all, you have a nice project there. Love to see more pics as you progress.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks