• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 wheel offset

3one5

I’d like to keep things as close to stock as possible. Going to go with a different set of wheels for ease of use. What is the proper wheel offset?

Elkjay

I’d like to keep things as close to stock as possible. Going to go with a different set of wheels for ease of use. What is the proper wheel offset?
I don’t know the offset but wheels from my 2016 2500 Ram fit perfectly. Offset appears to be the same as the original 16.5” wheels.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of discussions about this in the HMMWV forum (exact same wheel/tire assembly used for both).

only one I found mentioning stock offset was this

The stock HMMWV wheels are +63.5 offset. 9" rim width, 7 inch backspacing = 2.5" + offset = 63.5mm+ offset

(as far as I know, the math is 1/2 the width of the rim (4.5"), then use the difference between the backspacing and the rim width (9" rim, 7" offset) and subtract the difference from the 1/2 rim width (4.5" minus 2" equals 2.5" offset)

if it's closer to the outside face of the wheel, it's positive, and if it's closer to the back side (so the wheel sticks out further) it's negative.

negative gives you a wider stance, but puts more stress on the bearings.

For a trailer though, as long as it's not sticking way out past the fender I don't think you're really going to have any issues.
The axle is rated for something like 7k or 8k lbs, while the trailer itself is rated for 4200, so not really that much stress on the bearings (unless you plan to load it up really heavy past the military ratings)

the -18 offset seems pretty popular with the HMMWV crowd for 9" or 9.5" wide rims.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock HMMWV wheels are +63.5 offset. 9" rim width, 7 inch backspacing = 2.5" + offset = 63.5mm+ offset

(as far as I know, the math is 1/2 the width of the rim (4.5"), then use the difference between the backspacing and the rim width (9" rim, 7" offset) and subtract the difference from the 1/2 rim width (4.5" minus 2" equals 2.5" offset)
Those numbers are "almost" correct...

FWIW, the nominal rim width is 8.25" and the total width measures ~9.61". Having a backspace of almost 7" (6.97") the resulting offset is +2.17" or +55mm.

See this post....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks