• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1114 mystery cut cables and wiring questions

Westo

As I've been working on my truck I've noticed a few cut cables that I haven't been able to figure out with the wiring diagram.
  • 4 small wires coming from the outside negative battery terminal. These don't seem to be in the wiring diagram
  • 1 wire coming from the outside positive terminal. also not in the diagram
  • 2 thick cables in the wiring mess behind the commander seat. Black one goes to ground, red one goes through a black box then disappears into the battery compartment.
  • IMG_20230604_142053~2.jpg
  • Also in that compartment is a small blue wire. It is unlabeled but came in a plastic sleeve that says "ignition interface J10" and comes from a thing (don't know if it's a fuse or connector or what) that also has J11 and 297 going into it.
  • IMG_20230604_141517.jpg
  • Under the dash coming from the main cable braid there are 2 connectors with plugs. One is unlabeled, the other is 57D.
  • IMG_20230604_141920.jpg

As you can probably tell I have no experience working with this stuff so any tips or resources are appreciated.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main cable braid 57D wire is probably a ground wire for the windshield washer pump (?). I'm away from my truck so can't check. But my wires had been disconnected from the removed washer reservoir during the demil process.

Confirmed it from the wiring diagram.

IMG_6639.jpg

Last edited:

Smoking Joe

Any resolution on what the blue wire is. I was about to add this to my first thread and found this. And it reference the three wires I ha d questions about. In my first thread, I got the answer about the turret wire. Then I had the same question about the windshield washer wires which were what I expected given their proximity to the windshield washer pump. But this blue wire? And the two black wires coming out of the bundle say J12 and J11 on them. Can all of that be disconnected. Do J12 and J11 need to be connected to something after I remove the grey connector.

Attachments

royg

I have an M1114 which had wiring exactly like yours.

The small harness with the blue wire/J10/grey connector is just a clumsy way of tying some addon equipment into the main hmmwv harness. I never found out what equipment it was previously for, but I did find that the grey connector is just a 'bus' that serves to connect all the pins going into it. So the thing is just an overly complex y cable. I removed the assembly with the blue wire and joined the original packard connectors together.

Jinx

I have an M1114 which had wiring exactly like yours.

The small harness with the blue wire/J10/grey connector is just a clumsy way of tying some addon equipment into the main hmmwv harness. I never found out what equipment it was previously for, but I did find that the grey connector is just a 'bus' that serves to connect all the pins going into it. So the thing is just an overly complex y cable. I removed the assembly with the blue wire and joined the original packard connectors together.
Good to know. i have the same abandoned wires still attached on my truck.

Westo

Never did find a definitive answer, but my guess is that it might be a relay/power switch type thing for the turret that goes to the ignition switch so that it isn't powered up when the truck is off. That's how the windshield de icer works. In any case I haven't had any problems with it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, will do my best to explain
the ”blue” wire is tied to 29t which is ignition switched, when wired direct it powers TCM, with splitter it also powers AFES.
it can also be on the 2nd trans relay that is to power the WS de-icer
I generally remove all of it and just have 1 Trans Relay.
The large gauge wires are cut turret power wires that need to be removed as well.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, will do my best to explain
the ”blue” wire is tied to 29t which is ignition switched, when wired direct it powers TCM, with splitter it also powers AFES.
it can also be on the 2nd trans relay that is to power the WS de-icer
I generally remove all of it and just have 1 Trans Relay.
The large gauge wires are cut turret power wires that need to be removed as well.
Thank you for the brief. I wasn’t able to find any of that in public released documents. Makes sense and was what I had pretty much assumed on my truck from forum inputs. I ended up using known wiring diagrams and removed the cut unknowns.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks