• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1114 What to look for running 6.5 turbo first time?

royg

Hi.

I've previously resurrected 3 non-runners. Working now on my 4th HMMWV. It's a basket case M1114 from yermo.

I bought it because the engine looked good. The truck came with transmission/transfer case/driveshafts/exhaust/etc. as a loose pile of parts in the bed and it was missing a wheel. It was stupid cheap- I couldn't resist. Drunk internet moments right?

Got her home, went through the fuel/electrical and got the engine running.

I've almost got the puzzle back together & will see if she moves. Kudos to harbor freight 2000 lb low profile transmission jack. Perfect for a hmmwv driveway tinkerer like me.

I don't know why she was apart. I think the trans is a fresh rebuild. The only major part missing was the flexplate.

The thing is I've never owned a turbo anything. I don't know what the turbo 6.5 is supposed to sound like or what it's supposed to do when. I don't know what to look for good or bad or what to expect is junk after a decade in desert storage.

I'm looking for some advice what to look/listen for when I get it up to temp/ take it around the block.

Does the turbo mean anything at idle? at 25mph?
If turbo working or not how will I know?
If it's failed am I going to cause further damage by getting the engine/trans up to temp?

Appreciate your thoughts.

M1114trans.jpg

coadydepeche101

the turbos are not much different, they just whistle under throttle sound a lot quiter, at least from my experience with998, 1123 to 1114 turbo. no idea why the 1114 is quiter unless the inner armor they dont remove helps buffle sound. great trucks. good luck with your great build from Ga.

coadydepeche101

the turbos are not much different, they just whistle under throttle sound a lot quiter, at least from my experience with998, 1123 to 1114 turbo. no idea why the 1114 is quiter unless the inner armor they dont remove helps buffle sound. great trucks. good luck with your great build from Ga.
btw.. that ford in the pic is bas ass.

87cr250r

The 6.5 engine is louder than the turbo. Don't expect to hear much. If you can install a boost gauge that will tell you if the turbo is working. Expect around 7 psi at full power.

If you can spin the turbo by hand it's probably good. If it doesn't perform start looking for exhaust leaks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks