• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 transmission

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the "programming" is in the EPROM, you can try switching in your original one, if there is something wrong with it you will get a DTC-51

kingConan

All the "programming" is in the EPROM, you can try switching in your original one, if there is something wrong with it you will get a DTC-51
This is killing me haha. I switched the TCM, pulled codes and it indicated the TCC. I replaced it, and zero improvement. In fact it's acting even stranger. First into second is fine. When I slow down it stays in second. It will not shift into third, let alone fourth. After changing the solenoid it started wanting to lock up again at idle in 1st. Reverse was fine. Seems like it should not be this complicated.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It really should not, you have some strange symptoms.
What codes are you getting now, if it is not shifting into 3rd or 4th it should have some codes.
Have you checked the trans end of the cable (pass through connector) for fluid?
If you remove the connector from the TCM (J1) it should drive in 2nd and reverse, if it does anything else like trying to lock up it is a mechanical problem.

kingConan

It really should not, you have some strange symptoms.
What codes are you getting now, if it is not shifting into 3rd or 4th it should have some codes.
Have you checked the trans end of the cable (pass through connector) for fluid?
If you remove the connector from the TCM (J1) it should drive in 2nd and reverse, if it does anything else like trying to lock up it is a mechanical problem.
I'll give that a shot. I'm wondering if I should replace every solenoid? There is a little fluid in the connector near the tail shaft on the driver's side. Apologies, I'm not a mechanic but learning more and more. Thanks again.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That fluid can cause issues, you can replace the seal without going into the trans (get youtube certified)
Also clean both sides trans and cable with contact cleaner.
This would not have any effect on testing with the TCM disconnected however.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you are saying even though it will not shift you are not able to get any codes, only the twelve flashes?

kingConan

I apologize for the lack of updates. I replaced the TCC, clean fluid etc. It doesn't work. I have first and second gear kind of. It won't downshift from a stop. I drive it and first and second are great, but then at a stop sign it starts in second. Then starts doing the torque converter lockup again so I have to switch it to neutral to keep the engine running. The codes are not making sense. Now I have just a twelve code. I understand that transmissions are complicated, but they are in every car. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You replaced the torque converter? the TCC is the torque converter clutch.
It would be pretty rare that the trans would drop back into limp mode (2nd gear only) or not shift into 3rd and 4th and there not be any codes, make sure that you do not disconnect the batteries and erase the codes before reading them.
You may need to start back at the basics, unplug the TCM and drive it a while, it should go into reverse and be in 2nd in D and the TCC should not lock up.
If it will not do that then you have a mechanical problem with the transmission.
You also should inspect the transmission harness from one end to the other and make sure it is not chafing against something causing a short in the harness.

Last edited:

kingConan

You replaced the torque converter? the TCC is the torque converter clutch.
It would be pretty rare that the trans would drop back into limp mode (2nd gear only) or not shift into 3rd and 4th and there not be any codes, make sure that you do not disconnect the batteries and erase the codes before reading them.
You may need to start back at the basics, unplug the TCM and drive it a while, it should go into reverse and be in 2nd in D and the TCC should not lock up.
If it will not do that then you have a mechanical problem with the transmission.
You also should inspect the transmission harness from one end to the other and make sure it is not chafing against something causing a short in the harness.
I had a code 83 for the TCC which was a solenoid.
Good idea on unplugging it. It's been a bit of a nightmare. Three weeks ago it ran through all gears, drove fine for about a mile then went back to limp mode and locking up the torque converter.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a code 83 for the TCC which was a solenoid.
Good idea on unplugging it. It's been a bit of a nightmare. Three weeks ago it ran through all gears, drove fine for about a mile then went back to limp mode and locking up the torque converter.
Have you checked all the wire harnesses involved for chaffing?
Have you replaced the TCM?
What were the codes after it crashed thee weeks ago?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you had a code 83 and replacing the TCC solenoid did not fix your lockup issue AND you do not have a lockup issue with the TCM disconnected then the only place left to look is the harness/connectors and the TCM itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks