• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165A1 high RPM at 55mph

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think most were 2.56:1 , the Alpha was 2.56 and the early years had TH400 transmissions so no need for higher (numerically) gear ratios

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Random answer, usually 2.73 or 2.56, or whatever the owner decided to put in there.

EDIT: Changed 3.08 to2.56 because unlike military HMMWVs, they went to a taller gear in later years for lower cruising RPMs as opposed to lower gearing for higher torque in the military ECV/REV trucks.

92-97 had 2.73 gearing
98+ had 2.56
So I went back and corrected myself, as it appears they went to higher speed gears rather than higher torque in later years.

Here's a sales ad from 1993 stating 2.73 gearing

Last edited:

darkslide750

If you have the smaller pulley you should change it, there is no need to use more of what little HP you have over spinning the alternator.
Your truck was basically turned into a mobile power supply/transportation for battle ground electronics, its main purpose was to sit for days at high idle in one spot.
Does anyone have the part number for the larger pulley?