• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M128A2C Recovery from Barstow

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got out of Phoenix about 4:00 pm Tuesady afternoon. Got to my hotel in Barstow at 3:00 am. I threw 1 of the alt / water pump belts about 2 hours into the trip. threw the last one headed down the hill into CA. Found a truck repair shop still open in Blythe that had the belts. Took about an hour to get the new belts on, then Popeyes for dinner and back on the road.

The pyrometer and boost guage were invaluable since the mods to the IP. I installed my pyro post-turbo. I was able to get as much as 18 lbs of boost and evan saw it peg up to 25 lbs very breifly while pulling the trailer home. I tried not to run any hotter than 1150 degrees but sometimes had to run up to 1200. While cruising west on the 10 I ran at about 2400 rpm. That should be about 60 mph with the 11.00 x 20's. Boost on the flats at 2400 rpm was about 8 lbs, while egt was at about 800 degrees. The engine has pleanty of power now.

It's not the healthiest engine though, too much blow-by and several leaks. I think it has some cracked rings from the previous owner shooting ether into it, he had the IP 180 degrees off, gee I wonder why it wouldn't run. I'll put the spare engine in someday and rebuild this one (just for fun).

On the way back, lots of LONG, LONG climbs going east on the 40, again with 15,800 lbs behind me, the new gauges were VERY important. Evan on the steepest and longest hills, I never had to drop to 3rd gear. Once on the flats, I was able to run at between 2200 and 2350 rpm. With the load on the flats, boost was at about 15 lbs and egt was more like 1000 degrees. Again, I did not run egt's above 1200 degrees. Downshifting allways brought the egt's down to a managable level.

There are pictures of 2 of my new deuces that I jump started with the tractor. Both are nice with power steering. I did not start the 3rd truck because of time.

The 3rd truck has a new engine in it, an LDS-465-1A 5 Ton engine!!!!! Jackpot!!!!! It's clearly a rebuild and newly installed.

Trailer is in A1 Condition, no rust, Great brakes & tires (had to fill 1 up) and all lights good. Evan has the old style lights still on it. It's a 1968.

Sorry for the long narative, There's acouple pictures of the Outback Blimp that was following the 10 going west to So Cal. as well.

The trip back took 9.5 hours with stops. About 850 miles total driven.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, a succesful trailer recovery,2 running trucks with power steering, and an LDS motored deuce, What more could you ask for! :D

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Ed,

No trouble either way, took the 10 then 15 up Cajon. Took the 40 back. CHP and cops all waved. Of course I had my favorite hat and T-Shirt on. An ACU Patrol Cap and Sand T-shirt. I actually saw very few law enforcement folks. The hours I drove and the routing were chosen to0 make this part easier. I did have all of my paperwork in order though. I am registered as a Historic Commercial Truck in AZ. I brought federal paperwork that states, if I'm not making money, I'm not comercial. My AZ registration has the weights Zero'd out because of this as well.

I'm not trying to start anaother CA registartion thread. I suppose I could have been pulled over and hassled. But I was prepared as well as I could have been. I've got many miles in large trucks over the years as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks