• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135/211 trans?

cbvet

You guys were a really big help with leads on trucks for a buddy. Thanks.
Now he's also looking at an M135, & he's asking questions I can't answer.
What do you guys think of the automatic trans? Is it dependable? Are parts available? What's it like to repair? Would you buy a truck that had one?
As always,
Thanks.
Eric
CBVET

acetomatoco

They are wonderful trucks. so quiet and dependable... The tranny has lasted from 1939... yes 1939....and if you get the manuals and read them and understand them you will be OK... Those trannys were in the Stuart M5A1, the Chaffee M24 and the M114 and the othere apcs.. like the M84 and so forth and so on... Keep the engine oil in them and realize that they are water cooled and get the doggone manuals and read and understand them...

Michael

I have heard that the transmission is reliable if used within design parameters, but if grossly overloaded they will burn up fairly quickly.

David_4x4

Re: RE: M135/211 trans?

Michael said:
I have heard that the transmission is reliable if used within design parameters, but if grossly overloaded they will burn up fairly quickly.
Exactly. Ive heard as long as you follow all the guidelines. You should ahve no worries.

spicergear

RE: Re: RE: M135/211 trans?

They are really good trucks. Great brakes, no real dependability issues engine wise, decent axles. The transmission, nowever, in stock form, is a crazy shifting machine. Contact Memphis Equipment and see if they have any of the REB transmission kits for those truck anymore. It basically converts it to a manual valve body and allows you full control of the shifts. The truck is a machine then. Oh, and this is in NO way to be confused with the REB kit for the sprag transfer cases on the M35 trucks which give you manual control of the front axle engagement.

nattieleather

RE: Re: RE: M135/211 trans?

The 302 engine does have one "flaw" in it Spicer....The exhust manifold is prone to leaking. If you have ever own a 302 the question wasn't if the manifold would leak, but when.

As for the transmission. My problem with them and it seem to be on any truck I've driven and or owned that they seem to down shift if you run over a cigerrett butt and when they shift they shift hard.

ronfry261

I've had my XM211 for almost 3 years now. I have ran it in pretty steep off road conditions, I've had well over 4 Ton of wet, just sawn lumber on the back, and that truck has never even breathed hard. The tranny is outstanding with the REB kit. Watch the RPM's on downshift from 3rd to 2nd (below 3000rpm is my personal recommendation) and this thing will last for another 50+ years. With proper maintenance of course!

Ron

stephenfeldmeier

By experience (by rebuilding two transmissions) the first thing all you automatic gimmy owners need to do is to mechanically lock out (HI reverse). The (reverse cone) is the weak link in this transmission. Its nothing but a disc that has a forcing cone that looks just like an ice cream cone welded or forged onto it. By the way the forcing cone is just as thin as an ice cream cone. (No Joke!!!!!!!) Anyway to put it as simply as I know how, let’s all look at a 10 speed bicycle pedal. (The pedal being the forcing cone on the reverse disc.) Now as everyone has rode a 10-speed bike when you are in 1st gear (low range) there is little force on the pedal to make the bike move from a standing start. Now put the bike in 10th gear (HI range) and now you have to increase the force on the pedals 20 times just to make the bike move. (Sometimes you break the pedal) Unfortunately the designers of the reverse gear did not calculate the force properly and designed it to weak to withstand the forces applied when the truck is selected to HI reverse. I have seen this in two transmissions. So to save all of you from a headache, install some kind of a mechanical stop to prevent you from using HI reverse. Some of the Army units had the motor pool install a bolt and nut in the track of the selector lever cover just behind the F2 position. This way you can't accidentally put it in reverse when you are going forward and plus will prevent anyone else to using Hi reverse if you let them borrow your truck. Some of you out there will say I'm full of crap. Well if you like spending money and spending long weekends rebuilding your transmission, that's up to you.
The Army got tired of rebuilding these transmissions and some Army units had motor pool install a stop in the cover.
You can also see my article in Military Vehicles Magazine MAY/JUNE 2000 – Restoring an M211 Deuce-and-a-Half. I have learned alot since then by just listening to good sound advice.
Steve

deuceman51

The REB kits work great on these trucks. I have 4 of them and love to drive them. I do have an extra unopened REB kit from memphis equipment that I would like to sell if anyone needs one. I also have tons of spare parts for these trucks. The tranny works well if maintained like everyone says. As far as power goes they have plenty and twice the braking force of an M35 along with heavier leaf springs. I wouldn't be scared to buy one if the price is right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks