• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 Deuce and a half

chechako

Bear with my ignorance. I'm posting to help my husband. He purchased a 1952 M135 Duece and 1/2 a couple of months ago. It has been modified but neglicted the past few years. He wants to restore it and I'm trying to find info for him. Was able to find the manuals for it, but it has been modified quite a bit. Hope to get him to join this as he will be able to tell you better than I. But I'm the computer "wizard", soooooo. I've attached a jpeg file picture. He has great plans for this winter on working on it. One of his ideals is to run the exhast up the back in stacks and at the top of each stack mount a large mm shell casing. Can any one help me find these shell casings? and how big would I need to look for. Remember I'm totally ignorant so you need to pretty much spell it out for me.
Thanks for any help and patience.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M135 Duece and a half

Chechako, Welcome! Williamstown, WAHOO! :jumpin: Finally, someone here less than an hour away! Don't worry about computer literacy, most of us here just "fake it". Hop in to the chat rooms some night and get to know us. That's a cool looking truck. BTW, I'm just a hop, skip and a jump away from Billytown! Eric

Towman2277

RE: M135 Duece and a half

Most Army/Navy surplus stores sell different sizes of empty shells, just depends on what size exhaust pipe you go with. Truck appears to be in pretty good shape!

weewillywinky

what a cool looking truck. the hood looks a lot different than my deuce. maybe ebecausee theyre different years. anyhooo, welcome. lotsa brain power heree. NO, not mee... the GROUP has many wise members. michael

lacoda56

Hey there Chechaco,

Welcome and definately get your husband to join! Tell him not to worry about computer skills, I'm barely housebroken and I still get by here. About the truck, it all depends what his definition of "restore" is. It'll make a really cool bobbed 4x4 but it's missing a lot of parts to make a 6x6 out of it again. Still, it's a good, clean looking truck and should be a lot of fun. And Michael, it's an M135, that's why the hood looks different. The GMC M135/M211's were all like that. [thumbzup]

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow, that is a cool lookin truck is the bed a dump body with the dump hoist too? I would keep your ID and let your Husband get his own, My girls like to go riding in my trucks and the youngest wants the 1009 when she gets her licence. Welcome to the site and good luck with the truck,

chechako

Sorry took so long to get back. I'll try to remember the questions asked to answer and go from there.

No the bed doesn't dump. He knows its not worth trying to bet it back to the 6x6, but just wants it to look nicer (is that the original green?) of course a good washing will help. Don't hold me to this, but if I remember correctly he says the 4 wheel doesn't work in reverse and I guess there are some other modifications underneath that are not original, just don't remember what (over my head). He has already been jumping it and has only gotten it stuck once (again no reverse 4 wheel), but the winch was put to good use.
I found a headlight for it that was supposed to be the correct one, but isn't. He says he can probably modify it (original fell out going over one of the jumps he was doing).

Do you guess every get together with these trucks to pull, jump or run through mud? If so where?

Red Devils Dude and Mangus580 where in NY do you live?

Towman2277 thanks for the info on the Army/Navy surplus stores. I'll do a search but in the meantime does anyone know if there is one in NY?

mo-mudder

I assume that it's got the original gasser engine and automatic transmission in it. That being the case, the front axle is disengaged in reverse. It's in the design of the drivetrain.

westfolk

That's right. With the original setup don't get stuck going forward. If so you're screwed. I don't know where any of my manuals are now for the GMs or I'd post a tear-down of the transfer case so you could see why it's that way. Someone know why they were built like that?

the truck should be in all wheel drive in reverse .and engage the frount when the back axles start to slip .the shift rail on the transfer case can be ajusted a little but the linkage only has so much travel and when ajusted will pull it out to engage one way but then won't let the shift rail go back in far enough to engage the other way . you can check this out by lifting a frount wheel up and unhooking the cleves on the shift rail and using a round taperd bar pull the rail out a little the wheel will turn one way and not the other way and let the shift rail go back in the wheel will only turn the other way the shift rail is spring loaded . on my truck I changed transfer cases and did not take the case apart to see what was wrong in side . maybe this will help

Armada

Welcome chechako! Nice truck, you did good. I really like the larger tires on it!

Jed, SWEEEEEEEET dumper! :drool: That's something you never see. :drool: :drool: Is that part of your motorpool? Wow!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks