• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 transmissions

Redpawn

I have two transmissions for the old M135 trucks and I have a few questions for some one with more knowlage about them than me.One of them is an automatic and the other is stick shift.Is there any way to adapt ether of these to anything other than the GM striat six?Is the automatic any good or are they better as boat anchers?The reason I'm asking is I don't have the trucks they came out of any more and would like to save them from finding there way to a crusher.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you know the automatic is in working condition, I would think someone could use it. I cannot tell you if it will adapt into other motors. The same basic transmission was used in Cadillac cars of the same era, but they did not have the oil cooler underneath and did not have the two speed cone clutch on the rear. The valve body out of the car trans will work in the deuce tranny if one wants to make the shifts better and more controllable.
Regards Marti

Redpawn

I don't know that it works but I was told it did before the truck was parked.I'll have to check in to the cadillac thing.If it was used in cadillacs there may be other bell housing options.One other thing I was wondering what the big cone on the back was is that the two speed cone clutch your talking about?If so how does it work is it just part of the shifting of the trans or is it like a selectable low-high gear?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cone clutch on the back is an added unit operated by a separate control valve, no connection to the transmission valve body. It was shifted by a separate control rod from the shift column that was moved when the lever was moved left to right in the column to change between high and low range sides. I often wondered what would happen if one put a hand control lever on it so it could be shifted on the go for split shifting!! There is quite a ratio difference, so it might have proven to be too much of a difference for split or on the go shifting.
The owner of the transmission shop that advised me to get the engine oil out of the tranny as soon as possible and put in Dexron built them in the Army and also in civilian life built the automotive version successfully for racing. It is not the weak sister it has gotten the reputation of being if correctly taken care of and with using the correct oil. I put over 20 years of heavy farm use on an M135 and never had a tranny problem during that time, thanks to following his advice.
Regards Marti

Redpawn

Cool thanks for the info.I have the data plates from the truck too and was wondering why it had a funny shift patern and now I know why.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks