• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M146 recovery questions

w3azel

Won a M146 last month and have been lucky enough to get my EUC completed and accepted in 32 days from close of auction. Only thing is I was counting on that 30-60 days from submission they say it takes to process. My trucks not ready and I couldn't even get off work if it was because of the training cycle. So I need some help on shipping info. I have a listing in the transportation section already. 1. Can a regular big rig tow this trailer. I see where they have to move the hitch all the way back but what about brakes and if they can't use the trailer brakes because of the different systems is it legal or is the weight station going to nab them on it. 2. What type of trailer is required to haul a M146. 3. What are some details I should mention to the shipping company that makes the M146 unique besides brakes. The trip is from PA to NC. 4. Does anyone near Annville, PA want to pick her up and hold her for a fee till I can come up. :whistle:

SLOrazorsedge

Congrats on your score. They are nice trailers. They have a 2" kingpin and the same emergency and service brake glad hands that a civilian truck/tractor has. The axle brakes are air over hydraulic and do not have emergency spring brake pods. A civilian truck/tractor should be able to slide right under it as long as his fifth wheel will slide far aft to the tailboard. The best bet is a smaller 2 axle town truck/tractor like the beer delivery trucks. That way you won't have an extreme height difference from the 9:00X20 M146 tires to the civilian height, probably 11:00X22.5s. Best of luck!

agazza2

SLOrazorsedge is correct, and it they will also need some tow lights with a 25+ foot cord, as the lights are 24 volt, and only have the military connector.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As said above, a private individual can haul the 146 with a civilian tractor. A commercial operator may run into 'imperial entanglements' flat towing the trailer, I seem to recall someone on here having an issue like that a while back. They will probably want to put it on their own trailer.

Cheers

quickfarms

They can be loaded on a landau and still be under 14 feet tall. Because of the unknown condition of the air lines, brakes, tires and wheel bearings if is probably safer to have it hauled rather than flat towed.

w3azel

I had to settle on a shipper. He's going to pick it up next Friday and deliver it Saturday. Flat towing it back. I guess he has done many military trailers before and has a light set up already for them. Told him I have no idea on condition of anything I could only send him the pics off the auction. Didn't bother him at all and he is insured and will have a one way tag for the trailer. Ill find out how it does. Saying I had to fork out 1500 to get her shipped it better go perfectly.aua

w3azel

After a few delays with truck issues I got my trailer delivered and I couldn't be happier. No issues and the trailer is in great condition with very little rust or interior damage. We even had a rain storm and I didn't find any leaks. I'm still going to strip the interior and redo it but I don't see issues. I will have to find some stairs and I'd like to keep the heater because it says its multifuel but the wiring is messed up and I don't see how fuel gets to it. Have to dig into the TM. Also if anyone has a window shield I would love to buy it off you as mine is missing one.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you finally got it home. Looks kinda little behind that tractor! You will enjoy it, they are sweet pulling trailers, easy to maneuver.

The stairs/boarding ladder are a common size, you should be able to find them. There are a couple of styles.

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks