• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M149A2 Recovery From Camp Lejeune

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 149A2 recovery from Camp Lejeune went without a hitch, except for the long 1023 mile round trip, some of which was caused by a very long detour. The GL guys at Camp Lejeune were great. I arrived on site at about 0700 and one of the guys let me in early to hitch up my F150 to the trailer. I was on the road home before my actual appointment time. I am extremely happy with the water buffalo. It is in virtually perfect conditon. I was under the impression it was a 1990 model, but was surprised to learn that it was manufactured in November 2000. All I need to do to make it perfect is replace the silicone rubber seal on the cover, straighten one valve handle, and reseal one pipe joint, which is currently wrapped in duct tape. Tires are virtually new, with rubber plugs still visible. I'm not sure whether I will keep it or sell it. I've already been offered twice the auction price I paid. One piece of advice for others that might not have picked up at Camp Lejeune. When I called GL for an appointment and directions, they advised me to get directions to their site at the main gate. After arrival at the main gate, amid horrendous traffic, I was advised that not only did they not know where DRMO or GL was located, but they had never heard of it. Same story at the second gate. Finally, I went to the Pine Green gate and was immediately directed to the correct location. Also of note was the total lack of vehicle inspection at Camp Lejeune. I did get a pass, but no one asked for it when passing through all three gates.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow-that looks new. Awesome!

KsM715

wow nice set up. Both the trailer and your location.

Reguarding base security, I too am disapointed with security at our Military installations what with everything going on right now.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the longer you look, the more things you find wrong. I just discovered that one of the landing wheels was frozen in place, and I couldn't break it free. No problem, I drove out both pins from each end of the axle and then drove the axle out with a drift. Although the outside looked very good, the axle and bearing surfaces of the wheels were very rusty. A little 200 grit paper cleaned up all the parts. I lubricated everything with grease, and reassembled. Took only about 45 mintues start to finish and now they spin freely. I also took this opportunity to grease all fittings on the trailer. The landing wheels on my M149A2 are different than what is shown in TM 9-2330-267-14&P. Mine has a plate at the bottom with the landing wheels protruding through, as shown in the photo below. The axle is pinned in place with solid pins rather than cotter pins like is shown in the manual. This is such a simple job, howerver, that the manual is not needed. My only complaint about the trailer so far is that the landing wheels are too small in my opinion. They should have wheels the size that is on an M105A2.

Sorry, I couldn't get the photos to upload - I'll try later.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

wow nice set up. Both the trailer and your location.

Reguarding base security, I too am disapointed with security at our Military installations what with everything going on right now.
Given that the typical .mil installation has one or more new (since (9/11) $2 million guard gatehouses (manned by rentacops), 5mi of chainlink fence and 100+mi of 3' 3 strand barbed wire cow fence (that would only stop a cow), what's the point.

If you try to secure everything then you secure nothing. Lock it in a vault, cover it with fire, or let it go. What to you want TSA eyewash?

FrankUSMC

On Camp Lejeune, the area that vehicles are turned into is called Area 203, I can see the Marines not knowing what GL is, DRMO might be a 50,50 chance. The years I was at Camp Lejeune, we just called the place area 203. Also, the GL guys are at Lejeune only twice a week.
The GL guys who helped you are also the same guys at MCAS Cherry Point, you are dead on, that are just great guys to deal with.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary, it sure is a nice WB. You need to keep it long enough to bring it to the GA rally for our crack cook staff. After the event you can sell it. LOL

aboonski

Nice M149A2

I have three Water Buffalos in various stages of disassembly (see my posts on the M149A2 today). Yours is absolutely beautiful! I am just amazed that any branch of the military is getting rid of water biffalos in the shape yours is in. I got my first two from a GSA auction and had to drive up to the Ocala National Forest and get them from a ranger station. I found my third one (just the trailer with no tank) on Craig's List thanks to another SS member who goes by the name of Ruupster. I am gathering parts here and there with the hopes of winding up with a trailer half as nice as the one you just got from a GL auction. The landing gear on the one I just got is superb because it has larger wheels than my other M149A2 has. Landing Gears are pretty much interchangeable so you can easily swap yours out with another to suit your particular needs. I have to basically restore one with the parts from all three and one of these is an M149 with a weird tank that has no data plate. If I could find a replacement tank I would put two of these together. I love your paint scheme too! You did well regardless of what you paid for the item - after all, the government paid around $13K for these things new!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary, it sure is a nice WB. You need to keep it long enough to bring it to the GA rally for our crack cook staff. After the event you can sell it. LOL
Actually, I might bring it to the Georgia Rally. I was planning on pulling my M105A2, but I now might bring the WB, especially if it might be of use.

I'm pulling it in a parade with my M35A2 this coming Saturday in Hiawassee, Georgia. It's the Georgia Mountain Fair parade, but is really a delayed July 4th parade.

aboonski

M149A2 landing gear

Wanted to post a photo of the landing gear on my water buffalo trailer which was a big plus for me considering the condition of the ones on my other trailers. Love to find more of these for my other trailers! When I went to retrieve the trailer it was in amongst a lot of foliage. I hooked one of the safety chains to the bumper of my CUCV and pulled it out into a clearing where myself and the seller could work on lifting the landing gear and hooking the thing to my truck. These wheels did not even try to dig into the ground and rolled freely after sitting for years.

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wanted to post a photo of the landing gear on my water buffalo trailer which was a big plus for me considering the condition of the ones on my other trailers. Love to find more of these for my other trailers! When I went to retrieve the trailer it was in amongst a lot of foliage. I hooked one of the safety chains to the bumper of my CUCV and pulled it out into a clearing where myself and the seller could work on lifting the landing gear and hooking the thing to my truck. These wheels did not even try to dig into the ground and rolled freely after sitting for years.
Those are the size wheels I wish I had on mine!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful trailer and nice score. A word on the age (for the SF97). The tank on the trailer might be from 2000, but the chassis is early 80s at the newest. You can tell by the tie-down points on the rear corners and the front A-frame. I am attaching pics of my trailer to see the difference. The later trailers have the more stout tie downs. My trailer also has different years on the chassis and the tank. I believe my tank is from the late 90s and the chassis is from 1991.

Attachments

Awesome pics yall i blast these thing sall the time chance are if u buy one in good shape it was probably me that started itthose things r kinda cool all aluminum tanks with steel footings the trailers are usally the ones that lose out the get WIR,d first usally then we take a tank and another trailer and make it a good one might explain why u find new tanks on old chassis and vise versa lol l

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful trailer and nice score. A word on the age (for the SF97). The tank on the trailer might be from 2000, but the chassis is early 80s at the newest. You can tell by the tie-down points on the rear corners and the front A-frame. I am attaching pics of my trailer to see the difference. The later trailers have the more stout tie downs. My trailer also has different years on the chassis and the tank. I believe my tank is from the late 90s and the chassis is from 1991.
I didn't see a date on the tank. The date of 11/2000 is on the dataplate on the chassis and the dataplate looks old. Where would the tank date be located?