• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 issues

hnybdgr92

Howdy all

I just recently purchased a 151 mutt. It took a lot of ether to get it started, but I figured it was because of the cold. It was 40 degrees when I first cranked it up. It really struggled. Finally got it started and was able to drive it around my yard for about 3 minutes, but I stalled it out getting used to the clutch. When I tried restarting it it would start and sputter for about 5 seconds and die again. After a bit it wouldn't even crank and die, it would just spin. I'm thinking its either the carb or the fuel pump. It was sitting in a warehouse for about 3 years. Bought it from Eastern Surplus.

It also needs brake work, pedal goes all the way to floor. I checked the fluid level and it seems full as I cant add anymore, it overflows. Im thinking thats the master cylinder. I haven't seen any drip marks so I don't thing its a line.

Hope to hear about this soon!

Last edited:

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Congrats on the purchase. Couple things I would immediately look at:

What's the condition of the gas tank on the inside? My A2 had been sealed by previous owner but the slip on fuel sock literally had rust inside of it. Like a pile!
Did you replace fuel filter on carb? If not, here's the Napa filter:
20230115_080511.jpg
While it sounds fuel related, I'd also check the distributor and see what the condition of the interior is. Does it have points or electronic? Do you have a strong spark? My Father in-law recently bought a very nice M38. Coil was bad but in the process we found that the wire from the capacitor to the coil was bare in spots!
Possible a carb rebuild is required. Norfar has kits.
I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in but that's where I'd start

Guy

Last edited:

nattieleather

Check the fuel pump is pumping if you have a 151 or 151a1 you have an electric in the tank fuel pump. Also on the engine block next to the oil filter is the oil pressure sender which also is a kill switch to the fuel pump which will stop the flow of electricity to the pump if your engine has no oil pressure. The pump or that switch could be malfunctioning. If you have an 151a2 you have a mechanical fuel pump on the block which could have a bad diaphragm that could be bad. Then the other problem could be spark as stated above. The -20 manual is pretty good at trouble shooting and how to test systems to see where the problem is. Download it from the sight it will help you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks