• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M170 Serial Number Question

mksr

Great forum guys keep it up'

I have what in all appearances to be a valid M170 which I plan to restore. It is proper Length and configuration, holes in the tailgate, ambulance bows, etc. Body in in decent shape and relatively complete with no serious defects or flaws. It doesn't have the correct engine but I have an early M38A1 engine to rebuild and put in it.

It has early M38A1 style fenders (diagonal fender seams).

But, the only serial no. plate or data plate I have is the patent plate on the rear passenger side fender well and it appears (age, rusted screws, paint over, etc.) to be original to the truck.

This plate however is of the civilian type (raised numbers ). The number is 57548 136147 which from what I gather from web research to be a civilian CJ-5 but the last six numbers do not compute.

Any comments and help in deciphering my quandary would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. You are correct, an original US military M170 would not have that configuration serial number. Does your Jeep have the removable retangular instrument panel? And the remanants of a 24 volt system? If not, you most likely have an export "M170" and then the serial would be correct. See if there are holes for the main data plate in the dash where the passenger would sit. If none, you have an export Jeep. Paint job looks like foreign military also.

mksr

Thanks for your response.

Holes in dash appear to be correct for the typical main data plate but a grad handle has been installed in that area also. Instrument panel is not rectangular it is tapered on the sides but appears to be a replacement as it doesn't cover existing holes completely.

Will post photo of dash.

Thanks again.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks