• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M200 Trailer - Non Diamond Plate?

SteveKuhn

I've looked at a number of these but they're all either fender-less or have only diamond plate fenders, steps, decks, and the like. That seems too modern to fit with my other 50s -> 70s equipment.

• Roughly when were the M200s introduced? (Can't seem to find that.)
  • Were they made with non-diamond plate fenders like the 103s/105s/107s? Does anyone have photos?
  • When did diamond plate come in to common use in military equipment?

Thanks.

Steve

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WWII halftracks have diamond plate floors. On the M200, soldiers were expected to walk/climb on the fenders in order to service the MEP's mounted on the trailer. Hence the need for a non-slip surface. I think the M200's came out in the early 1960's, but don't quote me on that.

SteveKuhn

Thanks for that info. I had seen that TM, but it's dated 1985, so I was looking for older. It also doesn't show fender or deck illustrations. All of the non-slip I have (and also the Ling's PBR deck) is sand paint. However, I didn't know about diamond plate in the half tracks.

Any other comments will be appreciated.

Steve

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've looked at a number of these but they're all either fender-less or have only diamond plate fenders, steps, decks, and the like. That seems too modern to fit with my other 50s -> 70s equipment.

• Roughly when were the M200s introduced? (Can't seem to find that.)
  • Were they made with non-diamond plate fenders like the 103s/105s/107s? Does anyone have photos?
  • When did diamond plate come in to common use in military equipment?

Thanks.

Steve
The TM I cited may be 1985 but it does show the 1968 date for when the trailer came out. Isn't that what you were seeking?

The 1953 M108 I formerly owned used diamond plate extensively as did the 1952 M275.

SteveKuhn

I agree. That's the photo I was looking for. Now to find a trailer w/ those fenders.

Didn't mean discount that TM. I missed the earlier. I'm going to look up those other models. At least I now know that diamond plate is not a disqualifier.

Steve

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was just looking at the Utility Tool and Trailer link. That M200 they show there is a very recent production with the smooth steel. It has the single 22.5 tires. Looks like if you want something period correct for the 70's, the diamond plate would be the right stuff.

Also, the mil standard for this trailer was cancelled in 1990 without replacement. Hope this link works!
http://docimages.assistdocs.com/watermarker/transient/48494B1F10584B8E8E7963B68E989370.pdf

SteveKuhn

The link worked. Thanks. I saw some of the newer ones w/out dualies and didn't pay enough attention on that link. I guess my take on diamond plate needs adjustment.

Steve

Last edited: