• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M200A1 trailer buildup - Crawler Hauler

area52

Well I got my M200A1 trailer home finally( a big thanks to Hookin1 for storing it)

Objective: to make a bed long enough for my 88 Jeep Comanche. Front tire to back tire is 13' so I am planning on a 14' bed by 7'6" wide.

My first idea is to take either 6" or 8" C channel, 14' long and lay it on top of the frame rails, extended out the back by about 5' and raise the bed height above the tires. Then use 1"x1" angle for my cross supports and 12' wide wood planks for the bed. I am thinking at least 6 cross supports.

think this would be enough to support a 4,000lbs truck?

area52

Yea Otter had one and he had a couple of pics of it. I would do that except I live in the sticks out here and there aren't any deuce beds around. I gotta have this done by the 9th of Nov so I can go rock crawlin over in California.

area52

No, didn't get it done in time. I had some 4" channel welded on the top of the frame but it just doesn't feel like its gonna hold my truck very secure, especially the rear overhang of 5 feet.

I haven't been on here lately since my trip out to the desert so sorry for the delay in posting.

Funny thing is, I just found a dropside bed laying in a field about 2 miles from my house. An oil company has alot of their old equipment there. I am gonna try and see if they will sell it to me this week and maybe put it on the trailer.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just picked up my 200A1 yesterday and it is practically rust free and new tires with all hoses and accutriments except the worthless rear legs that I almost always saw bent off on Military generators. I plan on starting my converter this weekend since I have Monday off. It is a cool trailer and I think it will serve you well just try to get some structural I beams I built a 27 foot Tri-axle out of it and had 40K on it hauling it from Texas to PA. It worked like a charm and held up without any issues. I would also think of making the ramps a part of the trailer that could slide out from under the bed kinda like a Ryder rental only with one on each side versus one in the middle.

area52

I have been toying with the idea of buying another M200A1 trailer and putting them together as one. Basically butting the front of one to the rear of the other, chopping the "angled" front off where the lunette goes. This would give me alot of room and no over hang which is my biggest worry right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks