• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 build, guidance appreciated...

Hondo76251

The weight is the issue. The 6x6 is gonna top 8000# empty
I'm no expert on the 700r4, but I've seen them in some pretty well built rigs (500 hp+) albeit with some modification... As I recall, The shop that built this one put in some good aftermarket goodies, to the tune of an extra $400 or so... Like I said, I'm no expert, but I do trust the guys that built this tranny. It's nothing special, but even in stock form we used it to pull an 8000# load frequently (not counting the weight of the suburban) Mind you, we were not crossing the Rockies, but we were dragging that heavy trailer through a lot of sticky, thick mud (worse for the trans I'd say) but we kept it in 4 low because the tranny was already slipping when I bought the suburban... I think this trans would hold up just fine in the Duece, so long as you didn't try to destroy it...

ALL that being said... I may have found a good Indian trade for my old suburban w/700....

Hondo76251

So... I've also given serious thought to an NV4500 (have one or two of those around) or a 4L80e (got a few of those too)

Pros of the 4L80e
fairly strong, should function well with stand alone computer, Auto trans is nice for a lot of what I plan do do with the Deuce..

Cons:
expense of stand alone computer setup, complicating something that was once simple (I don't like computers...) I would use the spare tranny I have stashed for one of my daily drivers...

Pros of an NV4500
I prefer a manual, cheap to setup, no trans cooler, simple...

Cons:
Clutch to wear out. Harder to rock the truck out of snow or mud when stuck. linkages and pedals to install/alter

I'm still pretty set on getting an overdrive trans (although I do have a good turbo 400 setting around) and at this point, given more research and thought... I'm leaning towards the NV4500 now...

All this is just ideas at this point... I'm still working on getting her fired up as is for now

I hope to get it in the shop and work on it a little this week, Will post pics (and video if I get life in her)

snowyrivers

The 700 is still very small inside.

I have built many of these in past years, and spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
No matter what amount of $$$$$ you spend the parts are tiny.

Our Deuce build is getting an AT545 Allison
A bit of overkill, but CHEAP to buy used.

The 4L80 is a great box, but as you say, THE COMPUTER THING

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks