• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 questions!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got back from a lube run with the M135 and couldn't count the up thumbs the old deuce got. I built it so I could drive it but I think it's the general population that gets the biggest kick from seeing the Early Deuce. Mine will keep up with traffic and although a little tough to turn, the steering wheel spins back to center after a corner and I can't get this smile off my face. Lotsa guys would be real happy with a fire-truck or a deuce and you might have both so I'm excited for you.

The brakes won't be an issue once you get a few big tools for the wheel and axle nuts....or a friendly heavy duty mechanic. A mechanic friend of mine loves the truck so much he can't stop working on it. Heavy jack stands and hydraulic jack will get it in the air and either big impacts or Archimedes levers will get it apart. I did my last wheel seals and bearings in the field, off-grid so even the lowest level echelon hoser can maintain these trucks.

Testing the trani......after you've checked levels, smelled the oil, looked for leaks,......testing can be done in 100ft. The shifting time between 2nd and 3rd....if delayed or very hard....can be as simple as an external adjustment for the front band. From the 4 I've driven, they all behave a little different but you should feel all 4 gears, in low, within 100ft, near full throttle.

The RPM is what gets me and they can hit around 3600 before a shift so they sound like they'll come apart. Without a tach you need to trust your ears on that but don't be afraid to let it wind up at the top of a shift. The caveat to that is don't blow up an engine, gigity.

You're not just buying a truck, you're saving a piece of history and hopefully bathing it, greasing it and tightening things so it's in a preserved state for the next guy, once you've stretched the smile across your face to the max. These trucks are different than the M35's that get mudded and bounced off-road. They're the Grannie Cadillac of Deuces.....and we're very lucky to get to know yours. Thanks for sharing the story, regardless of the out come.........but I bet a bottle of crown you own a deuce!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put some brake fluid in it and pump the heck out of it. My guess is it either comes out the rubber boot on the master or a wheel cylinder.
It fits in a garage with the top off and the windshield down. Be careful.

hambone

I would buy it, worst case, part it out, I see some stuff I could use already:grin: Best looking 2 1/2 ever built, it would bring half of that in scrap.

MStryker

1500 for the truck?
I would buy it in a heartbeat!
I paid 1000 for mine and it had a seize engine, no real wiring, air system, or even a radiator. So needless to say I paid a grand for a carcass.
It all comes down to how much of yourself you are willing to give to the beast.
The multifuel deuces are nice and plentiful but you can't beat the classic looks of the old snub nose Jimmy.
Most parts for these rigs can still be found in the civy world. If you ask the gods of the M211/ M135 world, they may Grace you with an ever growing parts #'s and cross reference list.
Welcome to the site by the way.
The search function takes a bit of getting used to. If after reading a bunch of threads you still haven't found what you are looking for, DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK.
Some people get irritated at questions they know the answer to at the drop of a wrench, and will tell you to use the search. Once you have done your due diligence and asked you question anyway, there will be someone here who will be more than willing to answer.
We all learn and grow by reviewing topics and materials and new ideas about these trucks.
Welcome again.
Thanks! I've tried searching around for some stuff, found some answers and found some dead ends. I will continue asking questions if I can't find an answer though, thank you for your help :)

I just got back from a lube run with the M135 and couldn't count the up thumbs the old deuce got. I built it so I could drive it but I think it's the general population that gets the biggest kick from seeing the Early Deuce. Mine will keep up with traffic and although a little tough to turn, the steering wheel spins back to center after a corner and I can't get this smile off my face. Lotsa guys would be real happy with a fire-truck or a deuce and you might have both so I'm excited for you.

The brakes won't be an issue once you get a few big tools for the wheel and axle nuts....or a friendly heavy duty mechanic. A mechanic friend of mine loves the truck so much he can't stop working on it. Heavy jack stands and hydraulic jack will get it in the air and either big impacts or Archimedes levers will get it apart. I did my last wheel seals and bearings in the field, off-grid so even the lowest level echelon hoser can maintain these trucks.

Testing the trani......after you've checked levels, smelled the oil, looked for leaks,......testing can be done in 100ft. The shifting time between 2nd and 3rd....if delayed or very hard....can be as simple as an external adjustment for the front band. From the 4 I've driven, they all behave a little different but you should feel all 4 gears, in low, within 100ft, near full throttle.

The RPM is what gets me and they can hit around 3600 before a shift so they sound like they'll come apart. Without a tach you need to trust your ears on that but don't be afraid to let it wind up at the top of a shift. The caveat to that is don't blow up an engine, gigity.

You're not just buying a truck, you're saving a piece of history and hopefully bathing it, greasing it and tightening things so it's in a preserved state for the next guy, once you've stretched the smile across your face to the max. These trucks are different than the M35's that get mudded and bounced off-road. They're the Grannie Cadillac of Deuces.....and we're very lucky to get to know yours. Thanks for sharing the story, regardless of the out come.........but I bet a bottle of crown you own a deuce!
I think I have some rather large tools out in the garage, not sure if they're the right size big but I've got a good assortment of things out there. No heavy duty mechanic friends unfortunately. I'll probably have to look into some new jack stands and maybe a new jack though, these things are a lot heavier than my car.

Next time I can get a look at it I'll check the transmission a bit closer and check all the levels, look for leaks etc...it looks like there's a dirt road on his property so maybe I can take it down that way and get it up to speed enough to try the transmission out. How long do you guys like to warm the engines up for? I hope I get one, maybe this one, maybe another. We'll see.

Put some brake fluid in it and pump the heck out of it. My guess is it either comes out the rubber boot on the master or a wheel cylinder.
It fits in a garage with the top off and the windshield down. Be careful.
Will do, I'll check the TMs and bring the right fluid with me next time. Thats good to hear about garages...

Love the color!
Got Title?
Unfortunately no title, just some sort of registration or inspection records from when the fire department owned it before the current owner picked it up.

I would buy it, worst case, part it out, I see some stuff I could use already:grin: Best looking 2 1/2 ever built, it would bring half of that in scrap.
Yeah, I'd imagine the engine, axles, transmission, and wheels are probably worth something if it goes south on me somehow...

MRAP DREAM GIRL

This is going to be the hardest post I have made yet, because I have to admit my addiction as well. Can't tell anyone what to do based on their situation, but coming from a girls point of view, buy it! I have never seen my husband so happy after he drove Ramona around the neighborhood. We're in the same situation as you. Lots of brake work and cleanup.