• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 Steering parts

restlessrobie

Anyone rebuilt the steering in their M211 I am wondering if there is an upgraded tie rod end I can press into my Drag link from the pitman arm to the steering knuckle.

Yes I can find the original shaft online but none that have a grease fitting on them would prefer to only do this portion of the rebuild once.

Thanks in advance as always

restlessrobie

Well I am waiting for one more source to look for the joints but in the mean time here is what the steering on my old girl looks like and well I need to rework this to make it a little safer before she does any major road trips. If anyone happens to recognize this as a poorly installed kit let me know so I can fix this :) Thanks in advance as always.

20160820_164726.jpg20160820_164732.jpg20160820_164750.jpg

DUUANE

Hi Erik, i realize this thread is a year old but if you havnt solved your drag link build heres how i do it.
Measure the diameter of the taper top and bottom of the stock drag link ends and figure out the angle of the taper..next try and match the tapers (hoefully they are the same) or if possible ream out the smaller one if its close..then find a left and a right thread tie rod end with a common thread size.. measure for your link length..then i call an outfit here called McAllister Spring and have them make up a link with left and right threads. The important part is they roll the threads onto bar stock Vs. Cutting them on a lathe..then heat treat in house to your spec..i would go grade 8 or better.
They make all my crane foundation bolts this way..rolling the thread creates a different profile in the root of the thread and reduces stress risers that can lead to a failure. Post process heat treating is awesome too.
Hope this is helpfull..if you need more info pm me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks