• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M270 hauled off Chambersburg site..

citizensoldier

Well guys I won a M270 trailer for Dave P and his M819 last week and am now waiting on the EUC crap. So I figured I would shake the Steel Soldiers tree and see what falls out. He has a oil rig outfit that will load it on one of there flatbeds for the long trip home. But, they are not the type that can make a GL pickup day and time. So we are searching for someone that could pick it up once the EUC clears and store it until the oil rig guys can pick it up. Any takers? I am sure Dave will compinsate whoever for there efforts. PM me if you think you can help or need more info about this endeavor. :D

ah1955

Re: RE: M270 hauled off Chambersburg site..

westfolk said:
I just looked at that unit on Tuesday when I grabbed the M172A1. Chambersburg now has a nice new shiny electric gate.. Why "now"
Just kidding westfolk, I'm sure that it was there before your vist.
What is an M270 I googled it and all I found was a rocket lancher boy would the EUC take a long time for that one, did a surch on GL found nothing.

ah1955

Oh, O.K. if it has the some size kingpin and gladhands so it could be pulled by a civy. tractor I could give you a phone # of a trucking co. right up the road in Shippensburg that could pull it to there yard, store it and load it on your trucker at anytime.
If you would want there number P.M. my, and you could at least give them a call.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is a great looking trailer and will really look nice behind his wrecker. That would be great if Joseph could pick it up for you Lane at least he is closer to you than Chamberburg.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: UPDATE

Man, that is going to be one long rig...the M819, which is already a long truck, hooked up to an M270! Great score, Dave!

Rattlehead

westfolk said:
jasonjc said:
Those things are loooong. There is a gate at an airport the Bahmas that is a little bent because of one.
49' long. Still 4' shorter than an everyday 53 footer that we all pass each day somewhere on the road.
Plus, with the fantastic turning radius of the 819, it should go anywhere! :lol:

Good to see you got the matching trailer Dave, it will be great for loading up for the shows.

jwaller

the M270 turns horribly. it takes 50% more room to turn one of these than any other trailer of the same length has to do with the placement of the wheels(they are as far back as you could get them).

An 819 and this thing you will need a half acre(or more) to turn it around. forget ever taking it on any city streets. I already have to take both my lanes and both of the lanes I'm turning into when making a 90 deg turn and I still hit the curb almost every time. I cant imagine what it would be like by moving the fifth wheel back abut 3 ft.

It will be a site to see though. and man Icant imagine how slow it's going to be. heck unloaded your already at about 60k lbs or more.

citizensoldier

Dr Dave can do it.. He has over 2 million hours in semi trucks. He loves a challenge and has hauled some of the longest loads they will permit accross the country.. I am not bragging for him just the facts.. That boy can drive a land train very well. He was also National truck driver of the year way back when... Did demos at the truck driving school in Detroit.. He is qualified for sure.. I cant wait to see it..

Rattlehead

jwaller said:
the M270 turns horribly. it takes 50% more room to turn one of these than any other trailer of the same length has to do with the placement of the wheels(they are as far back as you could get them).
I know, I was being sarcastic in case I wasn't clear. :D None of these trucks turn very sharply. I briefly considered doing a cargo wheelbase tractor job with a knuckle boom behind the cab, but am kinda glad I didn't, as that adds another foot to the wheelbase.

Lane, you must mean 2 million miles? Still, I wonder if Dave has plans for a pintle/dolly/M146 to add to the 270, I wouldn't put it past him!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever converted an M270 to a tiller? I can see Dave putting steer axles on the M270. Anyone know who the tiller driver would be? (Hint, Trailer Ho)

citizensoldier

Recovry4x4 said:
Has anyone ever converted an M270 to a tiller? I can see Dave putting steer axles on the M270. Anyone know who the tiller driver would be? (Hint, Trailer Ho)
Now why did you bring this up.. :D He has already talked about this on some other land trains he has put together.. And thats a yes to who will be driving.. :shock: :shock: :shock:
We will have to pick this M270 up and a M127 at the Clare show.. He is already talking about using the dolly and loading a M135 I need to get home on the M270 and using the dolly for the M127.. However we do it it will be fun...Oh no here we go!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks