• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M275A1 Recovery

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went up to Heber AZ yesterday to recover my M275A1. The tractor was at an auto shop, it had sat in front next to Hwy 260 for two years. I had asked the owner to air up the tires for the trip. 2 of the tires did not have valve stems, the tubes had disapeared into the tire. Kenny had suggested that I pull it with only 4 tires on the rear. The previous owner was a great guy, he had his shop guys do all the work on the tires.

I put a rotating beacon on the 5th wheel and magnet lights on the back. The trip was 250 miles from Heber to Tucson. Heber is at about 7000 ft. so lots of very mountainous roads and many 6% grades up and down for many miles. Once I got used to it, I was able anticipate its behavior. Drove 45-50 mhp in the mountains. Stayed far away from other vehicles, braking was abit longer, still had good braking power, my F350 has an engine brake so that held me on the down hills real well.

Once I got down to the desert on I-10 to Tucson, I set the cruise control at 60. It was very stable. Trip was flawless. I pulled it to Jack's Government Surplus, Jack and his son Josh are going to prepare the tractor over the next week for the trip to Pendelton to recover the semi-trailer M128A2C. I've got an 800 mile round trip in it week after next so farmed the work out to Jack. His shop rate is $40hr. Going with new 11x20's as well.

The truck has about 4300 miles on it & 102 hrs on the hr meter. Jack said that the mirrors on it were 10 ton mirrors.

Anyway, the last picture is my Deuce Tractor next to one of Jack's 5 ton tractors. Jack showed me more of his rare trucks last night, he has over 1000 trucks, deuce wreckers, wreckers of every flavor, gassers, diesels, evan an experimental one a big boom that rests over the front of the truck. It has an XM(don't remember the rest) number. He showed me a complete WWII welding truck with only 1900 miles on it. He has lots of 5 ton gassers.

I'll take my camera into his yard when I go back down to get the tractor.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin, it looks really clean. Nice truck. Did it pretty much behave like I said it would? Sure does have the big mirrors on it. It takes a little while to get used to reaching around the airlines to start it. A good sheet metal banger should be able to straighten those quarter fenders. That will make a great runabout truck. I had 2 springers on a cargo truck I had some time ago. It was neat but I sure missed the bench seat. One of our new members WCJIV bought it and is putting a bench back in. I'd be willing to bet my lunch that your truck is an -A2 with a swapped data plate. The year 1967 was the second most popular year for the multifuel M275s behind 1966. My 73 is quite an oddball. That is most certainly a repacement data plate. Unfortunatly, the only replacement data plates I've found were from MV Data Plates and the only one availble is the w/w version. Sounds like you had a great time getting the truck to Jacks. Now I need a favor! When you go back to Jack's can you see if he does in fact have a deuce wrecker or two? If so, load me up on pics. Thanks and congrats!

shadow

Sweat looking truck.[thumbzup] It is way better shape then mine. I wish mine was as clean as yours, but then I would have had to pay a lot more then the $1,200 I gave for mine.
Mine looks like this:

I have a question while i'm at it. Does anyone know what the tubular type thing is next to the passanger side door seam that is almost as tall as the door?? I just noticed it in the pics I took and it is only on that side.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the comments.

Kenny,

It did behave like you thought it would, tracked very well. Don't know if I'll keep the second springer, time will tell. Jack and I are sure that it's an A2 as well, it is missing the telltale 3 holes in the floor where the foot starter would have been when it was built. I'll get pictures of the deuce wreckers for you, he has 3. one was recently destroyed in a fire, I stood next to 2 of them, the burnt one and a very nice one. I didn't see the 3rd.

Shadow,

Your tractor is very nice as well, very straight.

Ryan,

Do you like the larger mirrors? I like the way they look. Would you rather have the regular west coast mirrors? Any problems with them?

houdel

Here's a picture from another thread where you can see the gun ringmount leg going down into the mounting tube by the passenger's door - but I do believe convoy flags are usually mounted in that tube as well ---

Attachments

rmgill

I like the mirror brackets, though on mine, they were cut down and re-welded long before I bought it. The arrangement is very solid however.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks great Kevin! I just got back from Mexico today and was having forum withdrawls! When are you heading down to Pendleton? I'll be available next Thurs or Fri if you need help.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Devin,

The tractor should be ready this weekend as long as no mechanical show stoppers. I need to get in touch with Jose the site manager. I may have to pick it up on Tues. I can shoot for Thurs or Fri. That would be great to meet at Pendelton.