• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M295/M750/etc Landing Gear Repair

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few months ago, I had an issue with my M750 semitrailer landing gear.

My M750 trailer has the early style landing gear where the whole assembly folds up under the trailer frame as well as the landing gear telescoping in. The trailer is unloaded now and when I had the issue.

I backed the M931 tractor underneath the trailer and got the kingpin connected, when I went to raise the landing gear, only the curbside leg retracted - the roadside leg stayed on the ground. It was about halfway up that I noticed this. I reversed directions and sent the curbside landing leg down to see if I could "catch" the roadside leg to get it to come back up. When I got the leg to the ground, something else must have broken, as neither leg would move at all in either gear. I set the brakes on the trailer, disconnected the kingpin and pulled the tractor forward just a bit so that it would still support the trailer if it fell, but would allow the kingpin to clear the jaws when I raised it. I then put a bottle jack on the rear cross member of the tractor and raised the trailer high enough to get the landing gear to swing up to clear the ground. Despite the landing legs not telescoping in, the mechanism that swings the landing gear up into the frame still worked, and with the added clearance above the ground, the landing leg feet cleared the ground and swung up into the travel position, albeit with the legs still telescoped out. I secured them in place with cargo straps for travel and moved the trailer like normal. To unhook it, I had to use the bottle jack method again.

I now have the trailer connected to a M818, as I figured the safest way to work on it would be to have it connected to a tractor. I don't believe that my current issue is related to the folding mechanism of the landing gear, that still seems to work correctly, although I must admit, I've never been very clear on exactly how it does work.

I have both TMs for the M750, and but I imagine parts are more or less non existent. The -14 looks to have a pretty comprehensive removal, installation, and adjustment instructions.

Has anybody ever had this issue with the folding landing gear or been able to repair them?

Attachments

armytruck63

I have the old style legs too and they are horked up as well. I'm using the trailer for storage and don't even have a tractor, so I really don't care. I move the trailer with a forklift when needed.

I would prefer to have the newer style landing legs.
Matt

indy4x4fab

Banned
Grab a second pair of hands and have some them crank the handle while u are under it while it is hooked to the truck for safey, and make sure you don't have a sheered bolt some where along the rotating line.