• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M2A1 Half Track

Hey guys, I am about to make it official and buy the M2A1 Half Track that my buddy has been trying to sell me for 2 years.
It does not have rear armor and SO I need to get that.
I would rather not have to pay an arm and a leg for repro armor.
I have access to a Plasma CNC Cutting table, and so does anyone know where I can get files to cut the rear armor for it, or if any exist?
Thanks.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can't help on the plans for armor. But I do have some questions for you. Are you planning on using something that could serve as armor? (AR500 or better steel) Or are you just trying to make something cosmetically similar? A36 steel will be MUCH cheaper. I just couldn't bring myself to do that on my M114 repo parts I'm making. So I went with AR500. It's kind of a moot point really, but you'll end up with a HAZ on any thing like AR500 or better with a plasma cut. It'll be minimal though. But it's just something to consider. Waterjetting will not cause a HAZ. Just stuff to think about.

FWIW, I picked up some AR500 just a month or two ago. (Fall of 2016) When I was pricing it, a 3/8 thick 4'x8' sheet was around $750 plus shipping. Same thing in A36 would have been less than half that.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Not CAD files, but the MVPA Archives offers copies of the original Ordnance drawings of several models of half-track. You can contact MVPA HQ at 816-833-6872. That said, with the approaching holidays and vacations, I know HQ is short staffed, which may slow order processing.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
www.DavidDoyleBooks.com

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Rolled homogeneous armor (RHA) is a type of armor made of a single steel composition.
Was MIL-DTL-46177 in WWll
Something like 1/4" SAE 4340?

Pattton
Battle of Kasserine Pass
Characters talking:
We shoot a 75mm they fire an 88 ............
What about the Half-tracks?
I asked the men how the armor holds up against machinegun fire
They say it doesn't penetrate it, it just goes in one side and rattles around the crew compartment!

woodwalker

Go over to halftrackinfo. There are drawings there.
The white style armor is roller faced hardened and 1/4 thick
IH halftrack have the rolled homogeneous armor it was 5/16 thick and had less protection
But it was easy to work, weld able, and had no seems

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had a buddy trying to sell me a halftrack. There are Facebook halftrack groups that can share the drawings with you as well.

Wayofftrack

I don't have any files with the dimensions but if you need any help with dimension verification I can do that. There are something like 19 pieces total for the rear on an M2A1.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks