• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 engine swap good story and question.

bigmech

I bought a m35 from G.L. at selfridge Mi. base. When I finally brought it home and opened the hood I found a rod had punched a hole in the side of the block. I found a engine and during the swap I found that tere is a bottle of alcohol at the bottom of the firewall on the driverside that has a line goin to the injection pump. I had thought it had given up the ghost because they had kept driving it with the fan that was pushed into the radiator.Hence over heating it and roaching the rod! Whats up with the alcohol injection ? The line from the bottle goes to the bottom of the pump, where the cold start line goes on the other engine being swapped into it. I need some ideas, am I missing something here?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since it is from the "Land of Northern Aggression" and it gets colder that a well diggers butt up there, it may be to inject alcohol into the air lines to keep them from freezing up the brakes. A lot of older commercial rigs had this feature way back when.
Just my WAG. :)

Armada

You are correct wreckerman, although it doesn't inject it, the air is just drawn through the alcohol prior to the compressor to remove moisture. That line should be hooked to the air compressor intake Lindsey. Don't know why it would be connected to the injection pump. Ether would be injected at the intake manifold also, not the injection pump.
"Land of Northern Aggression"........ that's funny. :twisted:

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
If we are talking about the orange bottle then I thought that that was for cold starts. My deuce was saved from the yankees along with a bunch of others that had seen most recent use with the Mass. National Guard. About half of them had the flame heater mounted above the intake manifold. The other half had the orange bottle. I thought it was ether starter fluid injection.

bigmech

to the unjection pump?

I understand the alcohol to the compresser stuff , but this line was hooked up just perfectly to the bottom of th einjection pump. They had it hooked up so when the cold start heater switch was shoved sideways the alcohol was injected into the feed at the bottom of the injection pump. I thought this would be intersting being this came directly from a miltary base and it had a rod that tried to escape.THis m35 has power steering ( air assist type with a insulated hard top, with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Every nut a nd bolt looks new , and under the truck is flawless. I can't find a speck of dirt , wear, tear, anything that looks like it had been redone? This is one weird m35 for coming out of selfridge.

houdel

RE: to the unjection pump?

Sounds like someone severly fu*ked up you truck! The alcohol injection goes to the air compressor to dry out the air system. The ether start system (the orange bottle) goes to the intake manifold IN PLACE OF the flame heater. The ether injector fitting itself is in the tube going from the air cleaner to the turbo, NOT to the injection pump. If needed I can send you some pics of my ether injection system if that will help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks