• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Horn

willysmd

Hi All
Can anyone tell me where the circuit breaker for the horn is situated and can it be reset or does it have to be replaced once tripped?

Many thanks.

SierraHotel

I certainly could be incorrect, but I do not think there are any circuit breakers other than in the gas tank. If I had to guess, you've got some corrosion or dirt issues within the actuator in the steering wheel. If it is the horn, I have an extra, sans the long trumpet, that I know worked when I pulled it last weekend...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure there are circuit breakers, check the firewall by the steering wheel (engine side). There is one specifically for the horn and they should reset automatically after about a minute.

mangus580

This brings up an interesting question, as I am not able to test the theory (but think I know the answer...)

On the CUCV's, the horn is wired through the blackout circuit. Such that when you are in blackout mode, you cant accidentally hit the horn. The deuce isnt setup in this manner is it?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same on the xm757...blackout applies to lights only.
The engine noise is still there and a light tap on the horn may be good for a warning for pedestrians and a backing up truck in a convoy situation etc.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When going through the DRMO and GL lots I hit the horn and listen for the solenoid click to see if the batts have juice. Got reamed once for hitting the power switch. The DRMO dude heard the low air buzzer. Of course there was the one time a truck surprised me with electric horns. Guess it doesn't matter anymore, never go to the lots!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the electric horn....The original xm757 8x8 was fitted with the electric horn (according to '69 wiring diagrams), but an air horn was added later. Mine now has both installed, but still only have one connected to the steering wheel horn button. I may add a switch for the electric horn one day for use at close range only. :)

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTW, the Multifuel Duece & 5-ton fuel pumps don't have a circuit breaker. They have the only fuse in the whole truck.

The circuit breakers are the thermal type, and will reset automatically. They will keep cycling on & off till they just burn up if the short perseveres and the batteries/charging system holds up.

At least they will keep the wiring from going up like a Roman candle.

dg