• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 production run

Desert Rat

The Deuce was first put into production in 1938 as the GMC version. The last one was produced as an AM General in 1998. Approximately 3 million were produced in that time period.

M35guy

man, thats more than I thought, and later than I thought too. the last one I thought made was in the early 90s, not 98. still awesome.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the M44 series of trucks, production was under way in 1950. A known authority and author cited either 1987 or 1989 as the last year of production ( I can't recall). DR, got any doucumentation on a 1998 deuce? Might have to re-write the book on that one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actual AM General trucks started production in 1971, In 1970 there were a few trucks produced as American Generals. Roots go way back but you won't find a data plate anywhere that correctly says AM General before 1971. Kaiser Jeep produced the deuces from 1964 to 1970 accorind to the provided link but I did have a 1963 M292A1 and have the pics around here somewhere. Folks, the actual productions and mfrs remains somewhat clouded but lots of the dates listed are pretty accurate. It's the 50s where things got confusing between Reo, Studebaker, Utica Bend and the likes of other M44 trucks produced. I would urge any of you folks out there with a keen interest in MVs to pick up te second edition of the Statndard Catalog of Military Vehicles written by David Doyle. I can attest for the knowledge and time invested by David in the research of this book. While the book covers lots of MVs, David is quite the collector and authority on the M44 series deuce and M39 series 5 tons.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ordance book i have states, Production started in 1950. It doesen't say when it was stopped. The book was printed in 1963.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to take a look and see. I know that on average it took 3 donor trucks to build an -A3. I don't know if you can classify the -A3 as contuniued production, more of a depot overhaul. DOD probably assigns new years to the truck but is it really new. Now to throw another wrench in the game, Wayne Harris has an NOS frame at his house with an NSN that has the end use of the M35A3. I'll report back on the -A3

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks