• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 pto gear question

ODdave

Dose anyone happen to know the pitch of the pto gear for the spicer 3053? I am thinking of changing to a muncie pto with an atached hydrolic pump. I need to know what gear to order for it.

eddiec

Do you need a pic, measurement, number of teeth, angle? Not really sure what u are asking for. Is there a number on the gear itself?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked awhile back and I found out that short of having a gear custom made, you won't find one. Chelsea did make a gear but it's been obsolete for several years. I couldn't get anybody to ever confirm that Muncie ever made a gear. If you can find somebody with an old Chelsea catalog it's in there but it's no longer available.

You may have better luck than I did but all I ended up with was dead ends.

spicergear

I was on a PTO search for a long time too. The lion's share of the civvy/commercial market has the teeth with the opposite helix angle as well. Best bet is to buy a pump and divorce mount it or build a cage between the PTO and pump and mount it with a coupler...but that'll take some doing.

davey8943

Dave,

Its a tough measurement to take with a pair of hand calipers, but I come up with something close to 0.475.

I have a "scrap" sitting on my work bench I would be happy to send if it would help...

Dave

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PTO Input Gear Specs

..........I need to know what gear to order for it.
Maybe they have an updated catalog for all gear options as well as relative axial position, and hopefully we can find one that matches...?
Otherwise I would try to do what Tom suggested.

Below is what I can measure (relatively precisely) from mine... but this is far from being enough info to have gears custom fabricated, though.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

ODdave

G, Can you explain these mesurements, Pitch diam, Circular pitch, & helix angle?

I come up with 55* angle on the gear, (tore apart a PTO today)

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey G, page 12 Bottom left. What do you think about gear # S70 ?http://www.munciepower.com/clientuploads/directory/Resources/TR/TR-G94-01.pdf
Very interesting info, indeed! A huge qty of PTO's in every configuration for every imaginable application BUT... nothing (that I could find) would fit our old Spicers:
Besides correct size, position and depth we need to look for a gear 7.2 (or 7.18 )P 20º PA 29ºRH, according to their chart and nomenclature.
..... Can you explain these mesurements, Pitch diam, Circular pitch, & helix angle?
... in words AND keep it easy to understand for everyone? NO!:razz:
Like "Helix angle, definition: the angle the involute tooth form makes with the transverse plane at the pitch radius....":?

Instead I made diagrams showing helix- vs lead angle, also pitch diameter/ circle and circular pitch.... (very much simplified, of course)

Otherwise just google helical gear terminology to find all the complicated definitions ....

G.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks