• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Variations Rarity

ToddJK

The A2 and A3 are the most common ones you'll find now. The other versions have had more years to be dismantled, scrapped, modified, ect, but there are still a few around, but those are more so restoration projects and the owners are more likely to limit their uses with them. One thing I do find interesting, are the rare versions of the A2 that were made, such as the mechanics and the pipe line version. Then there are versions that weren't produced that way from the factory, but later modified by the military to be mission or task specific.

HDN

You'll definitely find more A2s than A3s. Only about 5800 A3 deuces were built across four variants. Anecdotal evidence shows that the M36A3 is probably the rarest of the A3 trucks, with M109A4 just behind that. I'm not sure what the breakdown is between the dropside and non-dropside M35A3s.

As for the A2s, M35A2s seem to be the most plentiful, followed by the M35A2C dropside cargo truck, the M109A3, and M36A2. There are some M45A2 fire truck variants around. Some fuel and water variants are around but seemingly rare, and there's the M108, which I believe remained a gasser because the 5-ton chassis made for better crane trucks.

I think the rarest A2 I've seen is a mobile machine shop, which is an M46A2 XLWB chassis with the SEORTM body.

HDN

The way I understand it all the A3's were converted from A2's Mine was a 71 A2 rebuilt about the end of the line . This was supposed to be a cost saving for the DOD !!!! LOL
How can you tell what your truck was rebuilt from? I haven't found any other stamped serial numbers besides the A3 one on the frame under the driverside fender.

I read a report that the ESP did save the DOD some money compared to buying more LMTVs, but they bought more LMTVs anyway so I guess it's a bit of a wash 🤷‍♂️ It seems the only difference is that the DOD could get M35A3s faster to reserve units than they could the LMTV and they got them for about 33% less cost than the LMTV for about the same capabilities.

Crazyguyla

How can you tell what your truck was rebuilt from? I haven't found any other stamped serial numbers besides the A3 one on the frame under the driverside fender.

I read a report that the ESP did save the DOD some money compared to buying more LMTVs, but they bought more LMTVs anyway so I guess it's a bit of a wash 🤷‍♂️ It seems the only difference is that the DOD could get M35A3s faster to reserve units than they could the LMTV and they got them for about 33% less cost than the LMTV for about the same capabilities.
My M45 truck built in 1957. I think it's a second generation truck after the initial contract order in the early 50's. It didn't enter service until the early 60's being that's when the chassis was married with Harris Equipment Air Compressor. I'll get to the point through all this rambling, the early trucks had a serial number stamped on the driver's frame rail near the front spring hanger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks