• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 won't restart when hot.

brhassel

Let me start from the beginning. 3 weeks ago I purchased an M109, converted to a bobbed bed. The previous owner pretty much only ran WMO and some gas to mix. The thing has run well until I recently filled it back up with diesel. Now it has trouble starting in the morning and just yesterday I returned home from an hour long drive and as I was pulling into my yard, I stalled it. Upon trying to restart it, it would not fire back up. Tried for a couple min. Pumping the throttle would not work either, which is what I have been having to do in the mornings since diesel refill. Let it set for about 30 min and she fired back up. Do these things get accustomed to certain fuels over time and then freak out when switched? Are they cumbersome when hot? Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue as well.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing that comes to mind is the hydraulic head having difficulty reaching injector opening pressure when hot.

Methinks it could be a wear consequence of running waste oil.

Others will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

brhassel

First thing that comes to mind is the hydraulic head having difficulty reaching injector opening pressure when hot.

Methinks it could be a wear consequence of running waste oil.

Others will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I thought about the pump, but I would think it would start having issues while running as well. Ran fine until turned off. And it seemed to run better on waste oil. Unless its just a coincidence that the pump might be starting to shit itself right when I changed to diesel?

brhassel

Is your in tank pump running strong and is the rubber hose inside the fuel tank deteriorated.
It has an external lift pump and yes it running good. Not sure about the condition of the pickup line inside the tank though. Can try and see, unfortunately its half full of fuel right now.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could this be your issue?

brhassel

Could this be your issue?
I don't think so cause the starter was working. Just spun the motor with no fire. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a fuel issue when hot cause it wasn't even puffing smoke while turning over.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow tuff one. First have you changed all three fuel filters. Then if you believe you have fuel moving through the system and we are leaning to being hot problem how bout the fuel control unit assembly under the Timing cover. By moving fuel through the system I mean the in tank fuel pump is circulating air free fuel back to the tank with engine off. Yea myself I too have been calling it the shut down cover but it is called the timing cover. Just guessing if it was getting sticky and then heat might cause it not to be able to go to full fuel that we need to start the engine. I will ponder more as I wake up.

Adding if you have fuel to the Head / fuel circulation of then most likely looking at a Head problem.

Last edited:

smoke

When you switched from wmo to fresh diesel, you could of loosen some crud caused by running wmo. I would change the filters, blow out lines and go from there. If they don't filter the wmo well it could of left deposit of crud in fuel system and when you change to fresh diesel it cleaned(loosen) the crud up clogging a filter or line. Worst case if the don't filter properly scores up plunger bore losing injection pressure to injectors. if you think it wore out add some fresh motor oil in the diesel to thicken up some. See if it starts better on thicker fuel. my 2 cents

brhassel

Any updates.
Yes, sorry i didn't re post. So I drained about half of the tank of fuel out, and replaced with NVO and its running pretty much back to normal. Should be around 50/50 diesel and NVO now. At this point I'm chalking it up to what you and cattlerepairman said about the wear on the HH from running WMO and WVO. I'm just going to run that mix until I can buy a new HH and decide to replace it. Thank you guys for the info. Also, I'm new to forums, so when I reply, does everyone who's been involved with the post see it, or only the individual I've replied to?

smoke

Everyone sees it. Good to know you are back up and running. When you do the hh, pop out the injectors to clean them up make sure they're pop off correctly too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks