• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 automatic transmission swap?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm leaning towards cutting the ears of the 5ton flywheel housing and building a steel cradle mount for it. I can do that for free, in a day. I don't know how it didn't occur to me earlier.
Do it for free, yes... but In a day?? Good luck with that...! And don't forget that the starter will be on the wrong side, just where you want the R-L motor mount to be....

neomadic

Do it for free, yes... but In a day?? Good luck with that...! And don't forget that the starter will be on the wrong side, just where you want the R-L motor mount to be....
It took a couple hours to trim the flywheel housing up. I'm pulling the LDT housing off tonight but building the brackets to adapt the LDS housing doesn't look too hard. Looks like I might end up moving the driver's side mount back 4 inches on the frame though, to clear the starter.

I like the starter on the left. That means I can go straight down with the exhaust and quit smashing it with the tire. My battery box is on the driver's side too.

I measured the LDS flywheel housing to potentially drill it for the SAE 2 pattern where I can't embiggen the clutch housing holes, but opening is too big and the SAE#2 holes would be right on the edge. I'll post a good writeup with drawings and dimensions in a new thread once I get it all figured out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks