• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Governor Issues

TinyAndreTheGiant

I have tried everything I can think of to get my truck running and am out of ideas.

I have a 1971 M35A2 with a LDT 465 and I believe the issues are governor related.

All fuel filters have been exchanged, and air has been bled from the system a couple of times including at the injectors. so I do not believe fuel flow or trapped air are an issue.

If i remove the Timing Window Cover (TM 9-2910-226-34 Pg. 3-1) and grab the pin on the linkage (Item A, Fig. 3-6 Pg. 3-3) the pin moves freely but is not biased to one side.

If i wiggle the pin back and forth it eventually behaves as though it is spring loaded away from the firewall. At that point if i close the cover back up the deuce starts first try. however any throttle movement results in it getting it stuck again and the engine dies. I have repeated this a couple of times so I believe this is the problem.

I have read the TM and do not see a concise "Stuck governor weight, spray cleaner lube at location X"

Anybody have some ideas on where to start on fixing this?

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not a timing cover if you are referring to the fuel control wire which I believe you are. Take the safety wire off and loosen the two screws just a bit so the lever snaps back to the 7:00 every time. You might need to spay a little carb cleaner in also if it’s gummed up.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct about the fuel control assembly. He is correct about what is called the timing window cover shut off rod assembly.

Last edited:

TinyAndreTheGiant

The issue is not with the "control unit assembly" Item H on page 3-27 of the TM but with the fuel control rod coming from the governor. It sounds like removing the FDC and cleaning it from above is the correct course of action, just looking for second/additional opinions.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well hell...guess I should start reading the TMs verses just looking at the pictures. Never too old to learn something new.

Gunfreak25

I thought I recognized your post, you posted on our Facebook group yesterday and I sent you some video of what it looks like under the FDC. Have you been able to identify or fix the problem? We try to follow up here so that problems and fixes are documented. It helps when others have similar issues and are searching the forums to find fixes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks