• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Injector Pump Timing

GusXI

I've been searching, maybe someone can help me with this or direct me to a thread that's covered it. Hydraulic head went out on my injector pump, sent it out for a rebuild, finally got it installed and the timing is off. It struggles to start (have to step on the gas), idles okay, then runs funny (sounds similar to a rev limiter or launch control) at 1,500 RPM's. I'm thinking I aligned it with the incorrect tick mark on the harmonic balancer. It's a 1971 with a hercules multifuel engine. From what I found online somewhere I lined it up with the LD-465-1 mark. It was very difficult to view the red tick mark on the side of the pump, I do recall that it was indexed slightly to the right when the harmonic balancer mark was aligned with the LD-465-1 mark. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also is it safe to drive it like this? I need to limp to the store to pick up some lumber. 20210531_142802.jpg20210531_163245.jpg
20210531_165418.jpg
Thanks-
20210531_142802.jpg20210531_163245.jpg20210531_165418.jpgGus

dmetalmiki

check the timing MARK under the plate on top of the injection pump.
The pulley and injection pump marks should align
The Hydraulic Head mark is USUALLY just one tooth off the mark at this point.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's still not the way to install the IP to the engine. Does not matter where the HB is you can remove the whole IP at any time. Before install then we put HB on correct timing mark TDC. We can find TDC easy by watching # 1 intake valve drop and start to come up then those HB timing marks can be seen and used. We can also use Gimpyrobbs easy way to find # 1 TDC. Then with the Head red / scribe on mark and advance window not quite on mark we install the IP. Then we replace the IP drive gear with slots is correct position and three bolts loose. Then with center IP bolt we rotate IP till advance window is on mark plus red / scribe is just about one tooth off and tighten down the three drive gear bolts.

Also if that tooth has the scribe mark and the red paint is gone that is correct Head timing but hard to see HB marks. Hard to see it but correct timing HB on correct mark, advance window on mark and Head just about one tooth off to rear.
Had to look at the tm LDS top middle LD and lower mark LDT? So your off for LDT.
Had to correct post and thanks to G for the good pic of the HB. LDS and LDT top mark. Still off correct mark.

Attachments

Last edited:

GusXI

So it sounds like I need to realign the tick mark on the harmonic balancer back to the LD-465-1 position, and then disconnect the forward drive gear from the pump and line the top tick mark on the injector pump which will put the "red" tooth on the side indexed about one tooth back like the picture I posted before it was pulled. How do you guys turn the motor to line up the tick mark? The first time I toggled the starter twice and got extremely lucky.

Thanks for all the help.
-Gus

GusXI

I just pulled the radiator, should be good now. Replacing the belts while I'm at it. It appears that the pressure plate on the injector pump gear slipped. Torque spec on the three bolts is only 25-27 ft-lbs which seems low. I did wipe the oil off this time though. 20210918_182004.jpg20210918_181936.jpg20210918_143702.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks