• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 NV4500 Conversions?

Hummer Guy

Has anyone every done the NV4500 in the M35? It seems like it'll be a very good option. The NV4500 is around the same size as the spicer 5 speed and have a .75 overdrive over the spicer .85, I get that it's not a medium duty transmission, but there's so many built NV4500s with hardened gears and other upgrades, I don't see how it won't do well in the M35, There's some people who have towed 20-30k with it and their transmissions are still going strong, a built NV4500 would probably be even stronger than the spicer 5 speed as well?

What's you guys thought & opinions and have you done it?

HN6

Has anyone every done the NV4500 in the M35? It seems like it'll be a very good option. The NV4500 is around the same size as the spicer 5 speed and have a .75 overdrive over the spicer .85, I get that it's not a medium duty transmission, but there's so many built NV4500s with hardened gears and other upgrades, I don't see how it won't do well in the M35, There's some people who have towed 20-30k with it and their transmissions are still going strong, a built NV4500 would probably be even stronger than the spicer 5 speed as well?

What's you guys thought & opinions and have you done it?
One person on here did it a few years back. I have one sitting in my shop on the floor. Most people I ask that know more than I do say they won't hold up in the M35.

87cr250r

I think you really need to look at the weight of the rotating assembly and it's ability to shock load the transmission. Or, consider the duty of the synchronizers. They may not be able to handle all of that inertia.

rustystud

We have been to this "rodeo" many times here. The NV4500 is longer than the Spicer 3053, therfore your transfer case will have to be pushed back and then your drivelines will need to be cut and shortened (rear) and lengthened (front) . There is "no" transmission out there that is strong enough and short enough to work. Unless you go with a complete engine/transmission swap or want to live with the problems of lengthened and shortened drivelines you have no options.
Myself, I've been working on installing an Allison 1000 series automatic with a NP205 transfer case behind the MultiFuel. I'll be rebuilding the NP205 this summer. Had special parts made up to handle the torque and weight of the Deuce.
I'll post my rebuild here on Steel Soldiers.

Hummer Guy

We have been to this "rodeo" many times here. The NV4500 is longer than the Spicer 3053, therfore your transfer case will have to be pushed back and then your drivelines will need to be cut and shortened (rear) and lengthened (front) . There is "no" transmission out there that is strong enough and short enough to work. Unless you go with a complete engine/transmission swap or want to live with the problems of lengthened and shortened drivelines you have no options.
Myself, I've been working on installing an Allison 1000 series automatic with a NP205 transfer case behind the MultiFuel. I'll be rebuilding the NP205 this summer. Had special parts made up to handle the torque and weight of the Deuce.
I'll post my rebuild here on Steel Soldiers.
From what I've seen the NV4500 is just a little under 13 inches which should make it about the same size as the spicer 3053

Hummer Guy

One person on here did it a few years back. I have one sitting in my shop on the floor. Most people I ask that know more than I do say they won't hold up in the M35.
I get that a stock one won't hold up, but there's some companies that build these to handle extreme loads and power which should hold up pretty well in the M35

HN6

I get that a stock one won't hold up, but there's some companies that build these to handle extreme loads and power which should hold up pretty well in the M35
I agree. I vote that you do the swap and go run thru the rounds on hwy and off-road and give me the report! Im not being sarcastic either.

Hummer Guy

I agree. I vote that you do the swap and go run thru the rounds on hwy and off-road and give me the report! Im not being sarcastic either.
I have a BRDM which is the equivalent size that I may do the swap on, it weighs close to 8 tons. I'm looking into getting the built NV4500 from CPPdiesel. They claim its an extreme duty transmission with hardened gears and the 5th gear nut improved. It shouldn't be that hard of a swap, the 4 speed currently in it is very similar to the NP435 and is divorced from the transfer case. (Shortening of the shaft from the transmission to the transfer case should be all that's needed.

If eveyrthing goes well and it don't die, I will definitely look and see what it'll take to get one for the M35, I for sure wouldn't ever consider just using a stock NV4500.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering the measuring method, you got that very close! :wink:

My ability to measure with the finest non retracting bent tang having chinee horror fright tape measure are unparalleled .

Just to be clear to the casual observers, the 4.3" bellhousing adapter was not on the front of my transmission when I measured .

And that drawering/sketch appears to be off by a couple 10ths or so 😀

DB556

Hummer Guy

I've thought of this many times as having a 6bt and nv4500 in the back of my shop. There are a few older model eaton fullers that 'might' fit
Like some of the TO-905 series. Or a 5 or 6 speed with a 1:1 final and a brownie box aux transmission after the transfer case like a 3A65 just down shift in to 6x6 at highway speeds.
Going by the measurements posted, you probably can fit a 6bt and NV4500, the 6bt is 6 inches shorter than the multifuel I believe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks