• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 oil fill plugs

jimm1009

What are the correct tools needed to check the remove the oil fill plugs in the transmission, transfer case, and axles? Is it 3/8 or 1/2 square female drive perhaps?
Just want to make sure I have the right tools and I could not find this in the stickies on this site or in the L.O. or TMs. They only describe removing the plugs and reinstalling them.
Thanks in advance.
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mine are definitely the 9/16" variety.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: M35A2 oil fill plugs

clinto said:
Square or hex? I think I remember my transmission was 9/16" hex. I think my axles were 1/2" square.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: M35A2 oil fill plugs

doghead said:
clinto said:
Square or hex? I think I remember my transmission was 9/16" hex. I think my axles were 1/2" square.
Square................well, they were square until somebody rounded them off by using the wrong tool to remove and install them......... :roll:

jimm1009

O.K. 1/2 inch male and female drive is not hard to find. One is 1/2 drive extension off
1/2 drive socket wrench. 1/2 male can be taken care of by a 1/2 inch 4 or 8 point socket or perhaps an adjustable or combination wrench.
9/16 female could be a problem. What can male driver is made for in a 9/16 square?
I've not seen this one. Fourthly, the 9/16 hex is easy to find too. 3/8 or 1/2 drive drive 9/16 inch allen wrench will get this one.
I will peruse SnapOn and Mac to see if I can find the 9/16 male drive.
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it would be a 9/16 square, I've seen 9/16 allen in the trans.

acetomatoco

When worse comes to worse and the pipe plug sticks out a little, I use a pipe wrench on the OD. Thru the years some of them get replaced with anything that has the right diameter and thread, cuz parts were authorized to be purchased off the economy in some countries.

rampli

Mine are all 9/16 square. I found a short piece of 9/16 square tubing in the shop. I put that in a 12 point socket and crank away. Didn't expect the tubing to last long but it is still turning the plugs when necessary. It fits much better than the 1/2 drive socket wrench that the previous owner had used to bugger up several of the plugs.

DanMartin

Right tool for the right job:

http://tinyurl.com/5lw78v

This is the cheapest I could find this socket set online. Seems like a decent price for tools that you'll probably use many times in the future. Plus there's less BS factor by having the right tool (less time working on your project, more time enjoying it).