• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 PTO operation

zmzajac

I hope I’m posting this in the right place. I have a M35a2 and it has PTO hookups in the front and rear. I was under the assumption to put the transfer case in neutral and use gears 1-5 to drive the PTO. When I do that, they don’t spin. Is something wrong internally in my transfer case??

zmzajac

It’s not clear to me if you have a transmission or transfer case PTO. On the transmission PTO, you don’t have to engage any transmission gears to engage the PTO.
The transmission shaft only goes to the transfer case if that’s what you mean. I attached some photos that can maybe help. If not, I can look into it more.

Attachments

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the other end of where the front driveshaft attaches to the front axle. It turns when you move the truck.

The center pumpkins on these Rockwells are interchangeable. If you needed this pumpkin on the center axle it would have a drive shaft connected on both ends.

Front and rear axles on the truck have these flanges with nothing connected to them. Nothing to do with PTO.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I can see it looks like you're showing your front drive line coming off the front of your T-case and heading to your front axle

There is another style of PTO that is integrated into the transfer case that supplies power to the to the rear of the truck where the water pump sits on a water truck

This is how my old M50 water truck works and it doesn't look like a normal PTO where something is bolted to the side, it's integrated into the case and has an oil line that feeds from the bottom of the transfer case with a pump up to the top to lubricate it .

You would see a little shaft sticking out where a baby drive line goes, a long one, and its up high on the case towards the drivers side, on the rear of the case obviously .

These style cases were used on water trucks and fuel trucks i.e. M50 M49, I think there is also anorher designation or two for some reason, they are a neat case IMO and they give you options