• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 rebuild from the dead

xxxamcxxx1

Hi everyone,, i got a m35a2 recently for free but its been sitting in a field for ten years... the body and the engine compartment is in pretty good shape... but me and my friends plan on getting this beast running again... and i wanted to get some tips on what i should check for before i crank it

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Check for oil on the dip stick, change fuel filters, make sure fuel shutoff rod on IP moves freely, try to start it!

You should probably have something ready to suffocate the motor in case it trys to "run away".

FloridaAKM

First of all, welcome to the Green Iron Disease! The free truck is as about cheap as you can get one, now comes the money & work part. Good luck getting her started & running & don't forget the pics.

Jeepsinker

Where is cutoff? I could probably help you if I knew where you were.
Edit: I found you on the map. That is way down there! I sure hope it didn't get flooded during Katrina and sat there since then. If it got in salt water and then sat that long it may not be salvageable.

Last edited:

xxxamcxxx1

thanks, and its a street away from my house. our parish/county was not flooded from a hurricane for around 30 years. but me and my friends are some diesel and automotive mechanics and this not your usual dump truck... the tips are mostly for its age and it being a muti-fueler

Jeepsinker

If it is that close I would advise towing it to your location where all of your tools and equipment are readily available. As I believe was already stated, make sure you have another person nearby with a block of wood to smother the engine in case of a runaway. You will more than likely have to drop the tank and have it cleaned and boiled out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Before you get too far, I'd just rig up a fuel tank on the fender to see if she runs. Then you can spend money on cleaning the fuel system.

SteveKuhn

Oh yeah -- batteries. Don't forget new batteries. Or you might not need that block of wood right away.

And forget pictures - take a video of the 1st snort of the beast!

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks