• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 with a hydraulic 5ton winch

dstang97

Has anyone done this? Seems like I would need everything and just extend my frame. The pot works off the transmission I believe. The doner would be a m923a1

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Spicergear mounted a 5ton winch on his m35 and ran it off a pto shaft, I don't see why you couldn't run the hydro version.

tobyS

Where will you get hydraulic from if you use a hyd powered winch? And please note that the winch motor is a rather large displacement motor, so will take forever to run off of a small pump.

I've recently put the same PTO that is used on the 939 series onto my A3 (Allison) tranny. While you may use the 939 series winch, I can't see any of the other components working with your A2 model.

An A3 could use the PTO (I believe) but there is no room for the remote mount pump.

Last edited:

rustystud

Where will you get hydraulic from if you use a hyd powered winch? And please note that the winch motor is a rather large displacement motor, so will take forever to run off of a small pump.

I've recently put the same PTO that is used on the 939 series onto my A3 (Allison) tranny. While you may use the 939 series winch, I can't see any of the other components working with your A2 model.

An A3 could use the PTO (I believe) but there is no room for the remote mount pump.
He could just get the power steering pump from a 5 ton multifuel. That's what I'm doing for my steering project.

tobyS

He could just get the power steering pump from a 5 ton multifuel. That's what I'm doing for my steering project.
Check out the flow (amount it can pump) of the PS pump. It will take forever to operate that big displacement motor with the amount of oil pumped by the PS pump. For a rough estimation, look at the cross sectional (inside) area of the hoses and assume laminar flow (the same speed of the fluid going through both hoses being compared). Sorry, I don't think the PS pump will work for the big motor on the winch.

rustystud

Check out the flow (amount it can pump) of the PS pump. It will take forever to operate that big displacement motor with the amount of oil pumped by the PS pump. For a rough estimation, look at the cross sectional (inside) area of the hoses and assume laminar flow (the same speed of the fluid going through both hoses being compared). Sorry, I don't think the PS pump will work for the big motor on the winch.
Your probably right. What you need to find out is the exact displacement of the winch motor, then you can get the correct pump needed. But I'm sure you already knew that.