• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C Recovery Trip

FloridaAKM

Yesterday was a short recovery trip from the Gov Planet storage facility in Lake Butler to my place in Gainesville. The Deuce is a 1985 AM General cargo truck that I wanted to recover with my Deuce. The Ibis Tec tow bars I have only have feet for the MTVR vehicles, so plan B was to use a massive towbar system from Gov Liquidation that has never been installed. After getting to the Gov Planet facility. I met the rep for GovPlanet & we towed the truck from the field where it was stored to the parking lot where I could assemble the 500# towbar system & hook it up. Pictures tomorrow will explain the tow bar better. It fit well when 2 people were there to assemble it & it was time to tow her home.

Traffic was quite high due to a big Gator football game in town, so this was not the idea time to put two Deuces on the road in tow mode. The trucks speed was kept about 30 to 35 mph so as not to have any surprises. The other drivers on the road were in no mood for farm traffic or a couple of old army trucks & would pass anyplace they could blow by me. After a few miles of this, I used a cut thru road which had very little traffic & made the rest of the trip nice.

My Deuce pulled the other Deuce with no problems @ all in either power or braking. It even tracked as it belonged back there. The towed truck steering wheel was not tied down & it caused no problems on the entire trip until I pulled into the driveway & had to avoid a few clumps of bamboo, didn't need them anyway.

The new Deuce has original Hawker military batteries in it (big plus)& someone had disconnected the + terminal & kept from killing both of them while it sat. The engine spins over according to the GovPlanet guy when he slaved it, but was sold as a non runner. The fuel system has old stale diesel fuel in it & the pump is running fuel thru the system, pushing it back to the tank in a good volume. I know the rest of the things that have to be gone thru before trying to start it, but due to the rain & the batteries on a Genius G7200 battery charger; I will have to wait.

GovPlanet Deuce Pickup 30 September 2017.jpgResizedImage_1506946074619.jpgResizedImage_1506946192961.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks