• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2c shifter trouble/sloppy

Msw210

I've come across the first item I can't truely figure out and little help in the manuals or online. Truck was fine, suddenly there is no pressure to keep the shifter centered in neutral from 4th&5th. There is pressure from reverse and 1st just fine. I pulled the cover and do not see any issues. Any insight is much appreciated as this thing sucks to drive now being I constantly hit 5th rather than 2nd.

Msw210

All the springs and balls were in place, I was originally guessing on a broken spring. From what a could tell in the TM, it doesn't have anything to do with the ball or cup so I didn't remove that. The interlock plate is spring loaded in 1 direction, which is giving the return out of 1st. I don't see anything that uses that interlock to return to center from the other direction.

Msw210

Only thing I can figure is, the shifter boot recently split. Maybe that is the push back to center I was feeling from that side.

Oerthedge21

If it's no longer holding position the detents are the only thing left that should be causing the issue. If not a broken spring then many the detent ball shattered or broke somehow, or the notches on the shift rails chipped or the rail itself snapped, if it were mine if pull the top cover apart and inspect the rails and detent system and go from there

Msw210

I've been driven crazy about this over the past few days. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with this transmission. I can only believe the dry rotted boot was pulling my shifter over until it split. Watching a few videos of others driving has confirmed that my transmission is now acting normal. I drove it today with no issues, slow and steady. Thank you all for your help.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I started reading this post and thinking of all the possibilities that could cause this problem. The shifter boot never once crossed my mind. Yea glad it was an easy fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks