• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 3-Color Camo Brown

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up an M35A3 at Sparta and it has a different color of brown CARC on it than matches Gillespie '383'. Sparta had a lot of A3s on the lot and all had the same color brown as mine, except one, which had the standard '383' brown. The brown on my A3 is much lighter than the standard CARC and has a slight olive tint to it. The green is a standard '383' match. I've also seen some other A3 trucks on the road with the same color brown as mine. Does anyone have any idea why a different color brown CARC was used for the 3-color camo, and what the paint number is? I've searched the forums and couldn't find anything.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that third color (brown) is field drab. Even though these trucks were not USMC trucks, a lot of USMC trucks utilize field drab as the brown in the 3 color scheme. I am not sure why, but I have seen this many times previously. With regard to the OP's M35A3, I had an M35A3 with the same color brown.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that third color (brown) is field drab. Even though these trucks were not USMC trucks, a lot of USMC trucks utilize field drab as the brown in the 3 color scheme. I am not sure why, but I have seen this many times previously. With regard to the OP's M35A3, I had an M35A3 with the same color brown.
You are probably right. I'm going to take some pictures today that may show the difference. The standard '383' brown is much better looking in my opinion than what is on my A3, which looks faded and washed out.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was finally able to take pictures. One picture is of my front bumper on my M35A2 which is painted with '383' Gillespie brown. The other picture is of my right fron fender/headlight assembly on my M35A3. The colors are vastly different, but don't look very different in the pictures. I took multiple photos, with the same result. One thing is clear, the colors are vastly different and the odd color brown was on multiple A3s at Sparta. While at Sparta, I discussed the different color brown with Mike from GL. Mike, by the way, was a very good guy and very helpful in getting my truck ready to go. I'm going to touoch up the paint on the A3 using Gillespie 383 brown.

Attachments

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will be happy with the Gillespie match. It is a bit more brown as opposed to the red-brown of the correct CARC, but it is darn close. I have touched up fresh CARC with Gillespie paints and I have been satisfied. The only Gilliespie color that I don't think is the flat black. I think it is a bit too shiny...at least that has been my experience. If I need to touch up black CARC, I use Krylon ultra flat black. IT is almost a perfect match, even with fresh black CARC paint.

DREDnot

Ive noticed this different brown, too. I originally thought it was just faded CARC brown but it seems like it matches others with the same off brown. I want to keep mine as original as possible but i dont like the mismatch to the correct brown on the canvas.

1487083_6002_160_0001.jpg

1487083_6002_10099_0001.jpg

1551683_6002_159_0001.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks